1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 10:07 PM by Eric Howard

Why does Tableau Server state that only 4 backgrounders is the suggested max for 8.1.1 - 64 bit

Aaron Clancy

They're not multi-threaded so I'm not seeing the benefit.

I'm also not seeing any performance increase (MySQL)  My jobs take pretty much exactly the same time to complete(+ - seconds).

Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 10.04.42 AM.png

I have 28 jobs that run every hour that I was previously delegating to 8 backgrounders (Tableau's suggested amount for my hardware)

Now that Tableau is trying to enforce 4 backgrounders my total schedule takes twice as long to run.

Can someone let me know if I'm missing something and why I shouldn't just kick my backgrounders back up to 8 again?

• 1. Re: Why does Tableau Server state that only 4 backgrounders is the suggested max for 8.1.1 - 64 bit
          Eric Howard

from the help file at:

http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#perf_extracts_view.htm#id7cf74dfc-4db1-47a2-bcbe-0f26a653a3ed

Background Process

A single background process can consume 100% of a single CPU core, and sometimes even more for certain tasks. As a result of this, the total number of instances you should run depends on the machine’s available cores—as well as on what you’re trying to improve. The deployment examples below uses N to represent the machine’s total number of cores, and each suggests a different strategy where the background process is concerned. When in doubt, start with the low end of the suggested range and assess performance before increasing the number.

How many cores on the machine running backgrounder processes?  Is this machine running other Tableau Server processes (vizql, application, etc.)?  The recommendation is dependent on the number of cores, and the reality is if your backgrounder tasks do not cause performance degradation in other parts of Tableau Server, you are probably fine to up the number of processes to complete the tasks quicker.   This is very much "your mileage may vary", so I would test and monitor different configurations and keep in mind there is a trade-off between resources for backgrounder and other processes on the same box.