4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2013 10:45 PM by Manas Ranjan Kar

Identifying Repeat Visits in Retail

Manas Ranjan Kar

I am working on a retail POS data. I need to find when and how a customer visits (each has a unique customer ID) and see their repeat visits trend.

P.S: Sorry, can't share data. However, this is a sample format.

Customer IDVolume
      A50
      B20
      C25
      A10
      B5
      A15
      B20
      B25

I need it like this

Customer ID Visit 1Repeat Visit 1Repeat Visit 2Repeat Visit 3
      A501015
      B2052025
      C25

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Identifying Repeat Visits in Retail
          cory.tak.0

Do you have some sort of date field or distinct order identifier (order id) that would allow you to sequence the visits? What's the question you're trying to answer? Whether the purchase of large volume leads to repeat visits? Whether promotions or the purchase of promotional items leads to repeat visits?

If there was a unique order identifier and a date column you count the order IDs within a specific time frame by customer. Without a unique order identifier however, it's difficult to sequence the purchases.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Identifying Repeat Visits in Retail
            Manas Ranjan Kar

Yes, I have the date of purchase to sequence the visits. Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Re: Identifying Repeat Visits in Retail
              cory.tak.0

I attached a workbook that accomplished turning the first data set into the second using a running count calculated field.

1. I created a calculated field that concatenated the customer ID with the order ID  (the orderID could be a date value if you don't have an order ID. However if there is more than one order for a date then there might be a problem because we need unique values. Assuming it's unique, it could work)
              2. Then I created a running_count calculated field that is computed using the distinct field calculated in 1 above.
              3. To change the column headers I did a custom number format (right click running count pill and change the number format) "Visit" # which turns 1, 2, 3, 4 into Visit 1 , Visit 2, Visit 3, Visit 4

Hopefully this is something close to what you're after.

Cory

• 4. Re: Identifying Repeat Visits in Retail
                Manas Ranjan Kar

Thanks Cory. This works !