3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 7:24 AM by Russell Christopher

How can I Embed Views into SharePoint with Forefront TMG as SharePoint Authentication

dickson.kwong

Hi,

I am currently working on project that regarding to embedding views into SharePoint. However, I have some infrastructure or setting questions that I would like to ask.

For internet access, our company is currently using Forefront TMG (HTML Form Authentication Method) as the SharePoint authentication to publish our SharePoint server from our enterprise network. Since we are planning on using the embedded views into SharePoint, wonder what kind of set up / setting is required? Do we need to publish the Tableau Server by using the TMG as well, if so, how’s the authentication work between TMG/SharePoint and Tableau Server?

This might be something very simple, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: How can I Embed Views into SharePoint with Forefront TMG as SharePoint Authentication
          Russell Christopher

Hey Dickson -

You're going to need to use Trusted Authentication or maybe SAML (probalby not, unless you do security federation already).

Essentially, you'll tell Tableau to "trust" the IP address or hostname of your SharePoint box. Then, you'll have code in your SharePoint page which grab the user's identity from TMG. That username will be sent to Tableau via an HTTP post.

Since you configured Tableau to "trust" the SharePoint IP, we'll respond with a ticket that can be redemeed to view content. All the detalls you need are behind the first link I pasted in.

FYI, there's also a sample SharePoint webpart that "does" trusted authentication in the /extras folder of your server. You could probably use it as a starting point - you'd rip out the bits user identity code that talk to AD and plug in new code that talks to TMG...

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: How can I Embed Views into SharePoint with Forefront TMG as SharePoint Authentication
            dickson.kwong

Hi Christopher,

Thank you so much for the prompt response. Here is what my understand is, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

When user login from the Internet, they enter their AD username & password, which the TMG will do the authentication and pass the credential to the SharePoint, then by using the SharePoint webpart, Tableau will be able to get the credential from the SharePoint but not the TMG.

However, since the Tableau Server is located in the enterprise network, I still have to use the TMG to publish the Tableau Server such that it can be reachable when user accessing it by using Internet, right? Also, Tableau Server doesn't need to "trust" the TMG IP in the set up above, is that correct?

Once again, thank you so much.

• 3. Re: How can I Embed Views into SharePoint with Forefront TMG as SharePoint Authentication
              Russell Christopher

Not sure what you mean by “TMG to publish the Tableau Server”. Can you explain?

If TMG needs some sort of “hooks” into Tableau Server for this work, I’m not sure where you go.