9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 12:17 PM by NACSA Tableau

keep national average

NACSA Tableau

• 1. Re: keep national average
          Matt Lutton

I'm sure this can be done--is it possible for you to post a packaged workbook? Cheers.

• 2. Re: keep national average
            NACSA Tableau

Hi Matthew,

At this time, we're not ready to post the workbooks yet. Do you have suggestions without looking at the workbook?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: keep national average
              Matt Lutton

No, and it is unlikely that others will either--a packaged workbook with some data is really needed to answer your question, in my opinion, because a lot depends on your data source and structure. While I think I understand your question, I really can't be sure that I do because I have no idea what the context is and I cannot see the pill arrangement of your view(s). You could create a sample workbook pretty quickly using the Superstore Sales data set.

Believe me, 6 months ago, I would scoff at a reply like this.  But over time, I've come to understand how crucial a packaged workbook is to getting answers on the forum.  It may be a pain to create a sample workbook, but if you want your question answered, its really the best way to ensure that happens.

Cheers!

• 4. Re: keep national average
                Dan Huff

This is normally possible. Here are some suggestions:

• Create a calculation that is window_avg(sum(% of Authorizers))
                • Add this to level of detail and ensure it runs table across
                • Create a calculation that is lookup(min(State),0) and add this to level of detail and ensure it runs table across
                  • This will force tableau to grab the value for State for every row which will give us a complete list from which you can "filter" marks
                • Add this field to the filters shelf and remove your original state filter
                • Add a reference line as I have done in the attached

This lookup calculations now allows you to hide states rather than filtering them from the result set. This means that our window_avg table calculation runs along the entire result set even if you are only showing one state.

I hope this helps,

Dan

• 5. Re: keep national average
                  Matt Lutton

I believe he is just looking for a side by side bar graph comparing the state to the national average, but without knowing what is in the data, it is difficult to tell.

• 6. Re: keep national average
                    Dan Huff

Good catch. I'm a little tired this morning .

Definitely need a workbook for this one then

Dan

• 7. Re: keep national average
                      NACSA Tableau

Hi Dan and Matthew,

Thank you for your responses so far. Please see the original post above for the workbook. As you can see in the "state avg of EP" sheet, I can keep the state and national comparisons when I manually choose them in the filter but when I include the sheet into the "New State Dashboard," it only includes the state percentages (and NOT the national) when I choose a state. If you can find a way to keep the national percentages, do let me know.

Thank you!

• 8. Re: keep national average
                        Matt Lutton

This is difficult to understand, as the "New State Dashboard" does not seem to have the chart or any states for action filtering that I can see.

• 9. Re: keep national average
                          NACSA Tableau

I've updated the file. I'm using the "Main Map" dashboard as the filter.