2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 2:37 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Dynamically Hide Sheets based on Window_Count

cory.tak.0

I have a hierarchical quick filter set up in a dashboard and the user has requested that when the filter is selected for the top level that its subcategories would be shown.

I thought I would solve this problem by creating separate graphs for each level of the hierarchy and hide the graphs depending on the number of marks in the window. (When a quick filter selects the top level, there would only be one mark which is easy to filter out).

I was able to do this successfully in the attached workbook but only by hard-coding values into the calculated field. The actual data set is more dynamic

My question is , "is there a better way to do this so that the values are dynamic?" I feel like I'm missing something rather obvious.  

• 1. Re: Dynamically Hide Sheets based on Window_Count
          cory.tak.0

I ended up answering my own question. It turns out the table calculation filters were not working because the default table calculation was always using Table (Across) instead of a more advanced table calculation that could be done from the context menu while the pill was on an existing shelf.

DefaultTableCalc.png

Advanced.png

In this way the filter was using a table calculation with different addressing and partitioning schemes than I intended. I found that if I click on the table calc while it's on the marks shelf and choose filter from there, the filter will work based on the more advanced table calculation I created rather than the default. I'm sure there's a simpler way to do this, but this is what worked for me.

filterFromMarks.png

• 2. Re: Dynamically Hide Sheets based on Window_Count
            Shawn Wallwork

Cory we love these sorts of posts! Not only did you ask a good question, and provide a packaged workbook, but you ended up answering the question before we could get to it.

And best of all? You came back and posted the answer, included a good explanation AND marked your question answered.

I nominate you for the Best Asked & Self-Answered Badge!

--Shawn

Cory, we really do appreciate you following up with a correct answer and explanation to your question. It helps all those who follow/search the forums.