We've heard of issues relating to the Google Analytics API for retrieving data with the default segment. Do you still see this problem if you specify a different segment in your Google Analytics connection in Tableau?
I have the same issue. No cost data is importing, even when I select segment -4.
That sounds like a different issue than the one we've been investigating. Could you please contact Support (email@example.com) so they may work with you to gather more information and log files?
Please let me know how I can assist.
I’m definitely not getting cost data and not click data for keywords into the reports anymore.
I'm having the exact same problem. Tried switching to a different segment with no luck. Ecommerce data is retrieved correctly but the Advertising data (clicks, cost, impressions, etc.) is not. Using Tableau 8.1.
I have filled a bug for this (case #00500393)
It came back with a reply along the lines of "use a different segment" - I think support missed the point here...
The issue is Tableau 8.1 forces you to use a segment, and with the GA API, using any segment (even "all data (-1)") will cause the API to return no cost data at all. There is a technical reason (which is beyond the scope of this thread)... but ultimately, Tableau should not make the segment mandatory (the GA API segment is optional).
The easiest solution would be to make the segment optional - as it was in early beta of 8.1
The best solution would be to allow us to paste any Google API call we want in "advanced mode".
Today, Google released another update of the API, now we're stuck until the next release of Tableau if we ever need to use those new dimensions and metrics... let alone using any of the other APIs supported by Google.
Thanks for clarifying. We are aware of the issue with the GA API behaving differently with 'All Segments' (-1) specified vs. omitting the segment entirely, and we are actively working with Google on this issue. I see that your account has been associated with this issue in our tracking system, so we understand that you are affected by this problem and you should receive an email updating you when the problem has been corrected. I cannot commit to a timeframe for a possible fix, but I agree that this is an important problem to address.
I was pretty much stuck because of this and I needed a solution fast... so I dug deep into the issue and I found a workaround.
Be forewarned that it will disable the use of segments!!!
- under C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 8.1\WebDatasources
- edit the file named GoogleAnalytics.twds (it's an XML file that can be edited with any texts editor)
- find the part where it says
- comment it, so the XML now looks like this:
The net result is your GA API call will not pass any "segment" parameter... like in Tableau 8.0
Are you finding that this issue with Tableau and GA is making it so not
only is cost not porting over properly but impressions and clicks as well?
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Stephane Hamel <
Karen: yes, impressions, clicks, costs... you can replicate the same thing by going to Google Analytics Tools - Query Explorer and entering ga:date as the dimension, an ga:impressions,ga:adClicks,ga:adCost for the metrics. Now, do the query without any segment. Then, do it again with segment gaid::-1 (all data). Boom! All zeroes!
You can even replicate the same if you go in GA reporting, under Aquisition/Cost Analysis. Try without specifying any segment (default), and then try specifying a segment.
Ultimately, this is a GA issue (not supporting segments for AdWords data).
Robert; thanks for sharing this. I haven't yet had to deal w/ the issue b/c I my GA connections don't yet call on the segments, but I'm glad to know this is here for when I do need to deal w/ the issue.
Wow Stephane, I'm quite impressed ... nice work!
I've used this query tool in the past. But specific purchased Tableau to
not have to do this manual grab of data!
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Stephane Hamel <