3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 1:54 PM by kevin.robell

Handling/Filtering a portion of duplicate answers in Survey Data

kevin.robell

Hello All,

First of all this group has been very helpful to me in understanding how to dissect survey data with Tableau. Thank you all for your feedback.

I am dealing with a large number of duplicate answers for certain questions in a survey. This is obviously affecting/inflating the total/aggregate. However, I am not comfortable using COUNTD as I feel it only counts individual respondents (as expected) when in reality each respondent updates the answers each year. Obviously there is the potential for new information with each update. Is there another way of counting relevant answers based on an calculated field/Table Calculation? Basically I want to disregard and answer to a particular question if it is NOT different than the prior years survey?

Thanks again for any feedback.

• 1. Re: Handling/Filtering a portion of duplicate answers in Survey Data
          Susan Baier

Hi Kevin - I'm glad you're finding the group helpful! We're just starting out, so it's good to hear that we're making a difference. Small but might! :-)

I don't work with repeating inputs like you've got in your survey, so somebody else might have a better answer -- but I wonder if you're capturing the date for each response and could look at them that way? You'd still need some kind of calculation to only count if different, but that might help with your double-counting.

As I said, I'm sure there will be better answers than mine. :-)

Thanks for participating in the group!

• 2. Re: Handling/Filtering a portion of duplicate answers in Survey Data
            Shawn Wallwork

Kevin, it will all depend on how your viz is laid out and you data structured, you can defininity use a table calculation to lookup the current answer, compare to to a previous answer and only return it if they are not equal. Post a package workbook and we can help you work it out.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Re: Handling/Filtering a portion of duplicate answers in Survey Data
              kevin.robell

Shawn Wallwork

Apologies for the delayed post. Thank you for the feedback. I have posted a packaged workbook with fictitious data that is reshaped in Excel (Tableau AI), I think, explains my dilemma. As you will see each respondent has the potential to complete the questionnaire multiple times. If you look closer some years they answer a question Y and the the following year they list a Y as well for the same question. From a counting perspective I am not concerned with the 2nd Y. Ultimately, here is my major question.

1. Calculated field/Table Calculation to show ONLY the first Y answer. This is where I think it will get difficult as the these situations vary throughout the annual responses. I imagine this will involve IF,THEN?

Again, thank you for any feedback that you may have.