4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 1:45 PM by diego.medrano

Tableau 8.1 server installation error

Shafi Mohammad

Hello All,

I'm trying to install Tableau server 8.1 and I seem to run into the error message below.

It seems to fail at the initialization of the pgSQL database. I have verified that the user account used for installation is a part of Admin group and has all read/write/execute (full control) permissions over the drive to which we intend the installation to happen. This account is also assigned with the local security policies as depicted in the admin guide.

Initialization error.jpg

I also see the below message in the tabadmin log. It appears to be a permission issue while initializing the pgSQL database.
      Could anyone decode what does the highlighted/bold code in the below message mean?

2013-11-21 16:43:45.897 -0600_FATAL_10.6.7.207:SERVERWS1_:_pid=6188_0x79681a61__user=__request=__ Unable to init component Components::Database (0 of 13): MultiCommand::ExternalCommandFailure: Command '"E:/Tableau Server/8.1/pgsql/bin/initdb.exe" -D pgsql/data -E UTF8  -A trust -U tblwgadmin' failed with code 1, result was The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "svcacct".
      This user must also own the server process. 

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United States.1252. The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

creating directory pgsql/data ... ok
      creating subdirectories ... ok
      selecting default max_connections ... 10
      selecting default shared_buffers ... 400kB creating configuration files ... ok
      creating template1 database in pgsql/data/base/1 ... initdb: could not execute command ""E:/Tableau Server/8.1/pgsql/bin/postgres.exe" --boot -x1 -F ": No error initdb: removing data directory "pgsql/data"

Thanks in advance,

Shafi