3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 7:58 PM by Naomi Clarke

Help with a Commitment and Expenditure graph.

Naomi Clarke

I have an Excel data source, and it has 4 columns I want to use.  Date Due, Amount Due, Date Paid, Amount Paid.  I want to represent this as two lines on the same chart (by quarter, year, month, etc) so I can see the difference between what is "due" and what is "paid".

I have attached a screenshot of what I have, but it isn't right, as it's only using the "date due".  I can't find a way to incorporate both "date due" and "date paid" into the same graph, and I can't find a way to make the Orange line (amount paid) stop at for example the end of October, while allowing the Blue line (amount due) to run all the way to the end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Help with a Commitment and Expenditure graph.
          Michael Evans

Hi Naomi!

Please let me know if this solves your issue.  I recreated your excel source with dummy data.  Once the data is loaded into Tableau, drag amount due and amount paid to rows.  Then drag Date Due and Date Paid to Columns (select the level you want, QTR as an example.)  Make sure your dates are selected as "Continuous" (the green pills).   Then drag Date Due to the top of your worksheet as an extra X axis.  Then drag Amount Paid over your Y axis.

Lastly, right click on your top X axis and select "Synchronize Axis".  This aligns your two dates up in sync.

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Help with a Commitment and Expenditure graph.
            Naomi Clarke

Thanks so much Michael,

I’m in training all day today, I’ll give it a go as soon as I get a chance.

• 3. Re: Help with a Commitment and Expenditure graph.
              Naomi Clarke

Firstly OMG it would have been nice to know that by replying to your message in my inbox my email signature including all of my contact details would be posted directly onto the forum.  Especially when it says "Reply to this message by replying to this email" at the bottom, it's a reasonable assumption that you are replying to the person who sent the message, not the whole internet.  I have since deleted all of the personal information.

Secondly, thank you Michael for your suggestion, but I can't make it work.  I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.  Even following step by step at the most basic level (by year only), selecting continuous and synchronising axis, the graph does not make sense.  There are now 4 lines rather than my original 2, and the paid line (orange) still goes to the end of the period, not finishing at today (assuming there are no date paids that are in the future, which I checked in the data).

Ideally what I would like is for the blue line (due) to cover the whole period, and the orange line (paid) to stop at today (or whenever the last date paid is in the data).  I would also like the Axis to show Year/Quarter or Year/Month so like this

Jan  Feb  Mar  ...  Dec        Jan  Feb  Mar  ...  Dec

2011                                      2012

or

Q1   Q2   Q3   Q4          Q1   Q2   Q3   Q4

2011                             2012

Naomi