2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 10:56 AM by Kevin MacDonell

How to create a large Tableau extract using USERNAME() parameter

Eric McDonald

I have been having problems extracting data in tableau Desktop as I get out-of-memory errors. The article below is helpful in showing how to create an empty extract which refreshes on the server. It uses a dummy date parameter so that the extract will not work until the day after it's published on the server. So what happens if I want to test it now? You can modify the method described in the link below by using the USERNAME() function rather than date.

So here's how:

- create a new calculated field named ExtractFlag =  USERNAME()

- then set an Extract Filter where ExtractFlag = <your username> and set it to Exclude

This means that you will get an empty extract in tableau Desktop, but it will populate on the server

How to publish an unpopulated #Tableau extract.

• 1. Re: How to create a large Tableau extract using USERNAME() parameter
          Joshua Milligan

Eric,

Nice twist on that concept!  I've also seen a parameter and calculated field used where flipping the parameter value after initially generating the empty extract allows the full extract to occur on the server.

Regards,

Joshua

• 2. Re: How to create a large Tableau extract using USERNAME() parameter
            Kevin MacDonell

Having encountered this Out of Memory issue, I tried both the date exclusion approach and the USERNAME() approach, and neither is working. This is rather vexing as I've already successfully published the data source to Server once. Now I want to modify it, but I cannot successfully create the extract again on my desktop. The extract includes a fairly complex custom SQL statement on an Oracle database (which is what I'm trying to modify), but pulls only a few thousand rows.

Now that it has been published as a data source, it is also causing trouble on the server -- it refuses to refresh. The Oracle error it's throwing is ORA-12170 - TNS:Connect timeout occurred.

I'm at a loss.