1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 11:26 PM by muthu.krishnan

The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!

Dustin Smith

With the recent update removing the auto-zipping of workbooks, we thought it was the perfect time to introduce something that has been long discussed: The Tableau Workbook Library.

The idea behind this was to give users a communal area to share workbooks and to make it easily searchable by allowing tagging and keyword descriptions.

This area is definitely still under development (we hope to add additional ways to categorize and quickly find workbooks).  Check it out and let us know what you think as well as what else could be helpful.

Acknowledgement to kettan for the well detailed idea that really made Tracy and I think about the possibilities.

• 1. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
          Ramon Martinez

Excellent!!! A very useful resource for the community

Ramon

• 2. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
            Jonathan Drummey

Color me confused right now...between the TCRL, the TabWiki, the Workbook Library, VizTalk, and just generally posting, where should I post something?

• 3. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
              Matt Lutton

Is commenting on the workbooks disallowed?  If so, I like this in a lot of ways--it is nice to have a resource just for example workbooks.

At the same time, people are going to want to ask questions about HOW something was done.  I already have questions about the Worldwide Cellphone Subscriptions, and my questions aren't necessarily addressed in the post or the workbook.

And--who decides what goes in there?  Anyone can post anything?  If so, guidelines (or even rules) are certainly in order in my opinion.

Also, what about duplicate posts?  I could see hundreds of people submitting the same concepts (filter types, chart types, etc.) over and over to answer forum questions.

I love the idea, but think there will be some needed oversight to keep it useful.

• 4. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                Shawn Wallwork

I couldn't leave a comment on a viz either. So I'll ask my question here: Dustin, what about that map do you consider a 'hack'? It looks like just a straight up dual axis map (unless I'm missing something). Nicely setup, art directed, I agree! But a hack?

I also agree with Jonathan, consolidating everything in a single place would be nice.

--Shawn

• 5. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                  kettan

Although I think the workbook library is good news (for self-helpers and learners), I agree some guidance is needed on what is appropriate to publish where.

I am about to release a document about cross joins and therefore ask myself where to put it. It might fit in any of these areas:  Forum, VizTalk, TCRL, TabWiki, and Workbook Library. I exclude Forum because it is more about Questions & Answers. I exclude Workbook Library, because the attached workbook's focus is not Viz and Tableau, but Custom SQL. I exclude VizTalk for the same reason. Although it includes calculations, the real focus is SQL. Therefore I also exclude TCRL. The only left is TabWiki, where I probably will publish it. Any advice where to store The Cross Join Collection is welcome. Of course it is easier to answer after it is published 

• 6. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                    Matt Lutton

I agree that TabWiki makes the most sense--but I didn't know it existed until a couple of weeks ago (have been on the forum for 6 months or so...), so keep that in mind in terms of reaching a wide audience.

Of course, you could say this is due to my own ignorance--but I do think some areas of the forum are not very well known as they do not appear in any side bar or menu on most forum pages.  Perhaps a guided walk-through of the forum or a video that must be watched upon registering would address this?

• 7. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                      kettan

Thanks. It is nice with confirmation on where to store the document on cross join techniques.

My target reader group is helpers, which I hope will share this knowledge when appropriate in various answer. I hope learners and self-helpers also easily find the document.

Your unfamiliarity with TabWiki is not due to ignorance, but lack of promotion. This is now history, because the new promotion on  Welcome  is excellent!

• 8. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                        Allan Walker

I can't seem to post.  I can add it to tab-wiki, or community canvas, but I can't "see" the Tableau Workbook Library.

1.png

• 9. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                          Tracy Rodgers

Alright, I think it should be fixed now. Some weird permissions seemed to be set.

• 10. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                            Allan Walker

Yep, sorted.  Thanks Tracy!

• 11. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                              Tracy Rodgers

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! In terms of what to post and where, I agree there seem to be some uncertainty there. I think that some sort of user guide will be beneficial as Matthew has stated. I'll be working on a FAQ and some introductions to the community in the next couple of days

We're trying to consolidate and make changes to hopefully make things more discoverable so that users can learn, explore and find answers.

Keep the feedback coming!

• 13. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                                Dustin Smith

Hi Everyone!

Rule #1 about rolling something this big out:  Don't immediately get sucked into a 2 hour meeting.   Apologies for not responding sooner.

First, thank you for all the feedback.  It really is fantastic and helps us think about ways the alter and improve the space and potentially our long term strategy for resources like this.

Now let me answer some questions:

Jonathan Drummey

Color me confused right now...between the TCRL, the TabWiki, the Workbook Library, VizTalk, and just generally posting, where should I post something?

This is a 100% a legitimate question and one that, as Tracy pointed out, we need to do a better job answering with documentation.  In the meantime let me try with a little bit of vision around why we built the TWL.

Effectively we wanted a place that if someone had  cool workbook they wanted to share, they could post it the community in a designated spot and make it easily discoverable.  In other words, somewhat of a community based My Tableau Workbooks Repository folder.

In terms of the Where question, I kind of approach it from the position of "What am I hoping to accomplish with a workbook" perspective:

• I need to post a workbook as part of asking a forum question:  Post that workbook to the question itself
                                • I need to post a workbook as part of asking a forum question:  Post that workbook to the response itself
                                  • If you think that workbook might be one you'll reference again and/or it might benefit others who may not stumble across the specific question you are answering - perhaps post it in the TWL and then link to it in your response (pro tip: you can type the "@" and then the name of a workbook to do a quick link.  example I'm going type "@" and then "Automatically show" to quicklink to  Mark Jackson's recent contribution to the TWL: Automatically show latest data with simple user override).
                                • I have a cool calculation that I want to share and include the workbook:  Post to either or TWL or the Calculation Reference Library - or post to TWL and then maybe quicklink to TCRL?
                                  • Distinction here is that calc docs in the TCRL don't always require a workbook
                                • I found an interesting Tableau visualization that I want to share and discuss with others:  Post in VizTalk and if you get permission from the original author and people think it would be a good addition to TWL then eventually post it there.
                                • I've got a topic that I want to write a reference article about ( Joshua Milligan's Same scale for scatterplot X and Y Axes doc is the perfect example) that includes an example workbook: In my mind this is the perfect use case for the TabWiki in that the end result is both an explanation + screenshots + a calculation + a workbook. 
                                  • I guess someone could technically upload the workbook to TWL, the calc portion to TCRL and then create the doc in TabWiki and quicklink out to both, but in my mind the combination of all of them is what is interesting.

At the end of the day there is definitely room for overlap...and I'm okay with that.  The key is search and discoverability.  The fact that the search bar is working correctly on the top of TWL is pretty much our last test for putting it on the community home page as well as forums.  In my mind I want to support both the concept of designated places for things as well as a global search that makes search multiple places by keyword and/or tag very easy.

Matt Lutton

Is commenting on the workbooks disallowed?  If so, I like this in a lot of ways--it is nice to have a resource just for example workbooks.

Shawn Wallwork

I couldn't leave a comment on a viz either. So I'll ask my question here: Dustin, what about that map do you consider a 'hack'? It looks like just a straight up dual axis map (unless I'm missing something). Nicely setup, art directed, I agree! But a hack?

Right now we have commenting on workbooks turned off,  however I'm pretty sure we can turn on an advanced settings that let's the author of the document choose whether or not comments are allowed.  What do people think of that as a solution?

Although I think the workbook library is good news (for self-helpers and learners), I agree some guidance is needed on what is appropriate to publish where.

kettan

I am about to release a document about cross joins and therefore ask myself where to put it. It might fit in any of these areas:  Forum, VizTalk, TCRL, TabWiki, and Workbook Library. I exclude Forum because it is more about Questions & Answers. I exclude Workbook Library, because the attached workbook's focus is not Viz and Tableau, but Custom SQL. I exclude VizTalk for the same reason. Although it includes calculations, the real focus is SQL. Therefore I also exclude TCRL. The only left is TabWiki, where I probably will publish it. Any advice where to store The Cross Join Collection is welcome. Of course it is easier to answer after it is published 

I think the TabWiki is the perfect place for this workbook/subject.  At the same time if you think the workbook by itself is valuable (without necessarily needing a lot of contextual information) the TWL might work as well.  Completely your choice.

Matt Lutton

I agree that TabWiki makes the most sense--but I didn't know it existed until a couple of weeks ago (have been on the forum for 6 months or so...), so keep that in mind in terms of reaching a wide audience.

Of course, you could say this is due to my own ignorance--but I do think some areas of the forum are not very well known as they do not appear in any side bar or menu on most forum pages.  Perhaps a guided walk-through of the forum or a video that must be watched upon registering would address this?

This is exactly the larger ball of yarn that building and releasing the TWL unraveled: site navigation + search + guidance documentation.  We've (me, Tracy and everyone else on this thread) been wanting better navigation to places like the TabWiki, Community Canvas, the Dev Community, etc. and as part of releasing the TWL are the subnavigation icons on the Community Welcome page (would love feedback on those as well...they work okay?  You like the way they look?).  This is the first step in trying to expose those areas that are so full of knowledge, but have, until now, been pretty hidden.

----

Again, thank you for all of this awesome feedback.  We've been anxiously waiting to roll this out for a couple weeks and we're grateful for the honest dialogue.  No matter where good content and resources end-up, I want to make it easy for learners and helpers to find value in our community and I truly hope these most recent changes support that goal.

• 14. Re: The Tableau Workbook Library is LIVE!!
                                  Matt Lutton

As I think most users spend 90% of their time in the general Q&A forum area, I think it makes sense to expose the navigation to these other areas from within threads as well. I may be on my own in thinking that, though.  And this may already be on the agenda, but I'd suggest adding it to the right-side navigation on the main "Forums" page, where the TCRL, VizTalk, TabWiki, etc. are.

Thanks for always being open minded and suppirting the needs of the Community in general!

1 2 Previous Next