2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 11:48 AM by Matt Lutton

Conditional Formatting in a Filter

kevin.robell

I am a bit new to Tableau so please bear with me. However, I am trying to eliminate unnecessary items from a filtered bar chart. If I wanted to only show positive values when applying the filter would I am assuming I would format this filter with a formula. What is the correct formula to use to "hide" or not show zeros when filtering more than one item?

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: Conditional Formatting in a Filter
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forums! Not sure I completely understand the question. Would you be able to post a screenshot or packaged workbook with an explanation of what exactly you'd like to see?

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Re: Conditional Formatting in a Filter
            Matt Lutton

Kevin:  I did take a look at your workbook.  You are using Measure Names/Measure Values, so I'm not sure how to help in your situation.  If you had a Dimension called "Sport" with the various sports as members, and just one column to hold the "value", this would be much simpler to do--then, you'd simply filter for "value" of greater than 0. 

I assume you don't want to re-shape your data.  Maybe someone else will step in and provide you with the answer.  Sorry I can't be of more help; there still may be a very simple solution but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

If there were a way to use measure names/measure values inside calculations, that might also solve your problem--but alas, we cannot.  Might want to vote for ideas like: http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1256 and http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1071

I'll venture a guess that Joshua Milligan, Shawn Wallwork, or someone else with more experience than I will be able to help you out.

1 of 1 people found this helpful