5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 11:14 AM by Ramon Martinez

Tableau Online vs. Tableau Server for sharing workbooks with the public

frank.bracco

Hi all, I would love to get some feedback. I've seen Tracy Rodgers speak to this a little over here:

tableau public auto refresh data

To elaborate a little bit on the type of feedback I'm looking for: I have a dashboard that I would like to refresh perhaps monthly, weekly, or even daily. That appears to rule out Tableau Public. I would also like to make that dashboard public to any person connected to the interwebs to be able to play with (just like Tableau Public). Would I need a whole bunch of Tableau Online user licenses or would I have to go the Tableau Server route, or is there perhaps another solution I could go to? I'm not looking to allow people to edit the dashboard, simply interact with it as they would a Tableau Public dashboard. Any ideas as to routes to take and the cost implications. Don't really have the hardware to stand this up, so I'm supsecting Tableau Server is probably not a viable route. If that assumption is correct, what would be the cost implications for going the Tableau Online route? What I'm really looking for is a solution that is relatively cost efficient so that an individual (i.e. me) can buy the product or service (couple hundred dollars a year - kind of like buying web-hosting, etc.), start building the dashboards, have the dashboards refresh regularly, and share them out with everyone. That seems to be somewhat of a gap in the market - so I'm definitely looking for suggestions and ideas on what direction to go.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• 1. Re: Tableau Online vs. Tableau Server for sharing workbooks with the public
          Ramon Martinez

HI Frank,

According to your scenario, you need to go for Tableau Server under a code-base license, which allows you to have unlimited number of users and a special type of user called Guest that will allow to provide content to the public. The cost of this license is based on the number of cores in your server.

There is a white paper with all information about the type of Tableau Server licences: Used-Based and Core-Based, but I didn't find it at this moment.

I'm not sure if Tableau Online allows to serve content to the public, with that sort of Guest user like in Tableau Server core-based license.

In term of costs, I recommend to contact a sale representative.

Best,

Ramon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Online vs. Tableau Server for sharing workbooks with the public
            frank.bracco

I figured that might be the answer. Core-based licensed - based on the pricing I've seen - is around $175K-$250K. Seems like I'm falling into that gap in the market I was talking about:

"What I'm really looking for is a solution that is relatively cost efficient so that an individual (i.e. me) can buy the product or service (couple hundred dollars a year - kind of like buying web-hosting, etc.), start building the dashboards, have the dashboards refresh regularly, and share them out with everyone. That seems to be somewhat of a gap in the market - so I'm definitely looking for suggestions and ideas on what direction to go."

• 3. Re: Tableau Online vs. Tableau Server for sharing workbooks with the public
              Ramon Martinez

Hi Frank,

On the scenario of limited resources, as your describe it, I would go with Tableau Public. The main problem with public is that to keep updated your data source, you need to refresh the extract from your original data source and republish the workbook manually.

The good points with public is that is free and the content is freely accessible to the public. It is a trade-off that you need to assess an make a decision.

Best,

Ramon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau Online vs. Tableau Server for sharing workbooks with the public
                frank.bracco

Haha, looks like you and I are in agreement, Ramon on the pros and cons. I'm actually using Public already for this project and there has been interest in getting it to the point of being a auto-refresh type of deal. I could handle doing it monthly, but doing it much more regularly than that would have some diminishing returns for usage of my time, haha.

Ah well, sometimes our needs as individual users are just too unique for what the market is willing to provide at an affordable price. Supply and demand and all that jazz.

Appreciate the feedback.

• 5. Re: Tableau Online vs. Tableau Server for sharing workbooks with the public
                  Ramon Martinez

That is Life Frank, it is far of being perfect.

Ramon