10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2013 10:23 AM by Krish Mukka

How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.

Krish Mukka

Hi Tableau Army,

I am new to Tableau. I have prepared few reports in Tableau. I want them to be furnished in Excel application. Can anyone suggest me how can I do that?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Krish.

• 1. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
          caitlin.donaldson

There are a couple of ways to do this.  Both are in the Worksheet menu.  The first is copying the data to then be pasted into Excel.  Go to Worksheet -> Copy -> Crosstab.  Then go into Excel and paste the data.  The other way is to go to Worksheet -> Export -> Crosstab to Excel which will pull the data into Excel.  I almost always use Copy -> Crosstab since it provides data for each row, whereas Crosstab to Excel will merge cells to make the table look more like what you see in Tableau.

If you are looking to paste images in, the Worksheet and Dashboard menus both have options to copy an image which you can paste into Excel, depending on what you want to copy over.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
            Krish Mukka

Hi Donaldson,

Thank you so much for your time n help. I will follow the steps suggested by you and get back to u..if more help needed on this..thnq again..

Regards,

Krish.

Sent from my Windows Phone

• 3. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
              Krish Mukka

Hi Donaldson,

I did what you asked me to do. However, excel sheet is getting only data not interactive features of the report. Even if I copy the information as images, I hope the interactive options won't work there. Is there any way that Excel report get the Tableau reports along with the exact features we apply there?.

Regards,

Krish.

• 4. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
                caitlin.donaldson

Hi Krish,

You will only be able to use the interactive functions in Tableau so those can't be moved over into Excel.  Are you looking to send a Tableau workbook to someone?  Or is there another reason you are trying to move your report with the interactive functions into Excel?  One way to send a Tableau workbook would be to save it as a Packaged Workbook.  Then have the recipient download Tableau Reader, which is offered for free.  When you send the Packaged Workbook, the Tableau report should open on the recipient's computer.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Caitlin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
                  Krish Mukka

Hi Caitlin,

Firstly, apologize for not mentioning your name correctly in my last communication.

Yes, I am an excel guru and I prepare the same interactive reports in Excel using Advance Excel Techniques. However, one of our client want me to prepare the reports using Tableau and send her. So I started working on them. I found Tableau very useful and friendly. But I need to learn it a lot. What is this package? How to do that?. I will try to find out it in You-Tube. If I have any questions, I will again dare to contact you. Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Krish.

• 6. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
                    caitlin.donaldson

Hi Krish,

No problem.

A Tableau Packaged Workbook is just a Tableau file type.  As you can see in the Save As box below, you can select to save your workbook as a TWBX (or Tableau Packaged Workbook) by selecting it as the Save As Type.

2013_11_07 TWBX.JPG.jpg

Once you save the file as a TWBX, your client can easily open the file.

Caitlin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
                      Krish Mukka

Thank you so much Caitlin..

I will follow the same and if I have any questions will get back to you.

Regards,

Krish.

• 8. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
                        Krish Mukka

Hi Caitlin,

Hope you can answer these questions I have.

1. I have created a dashboard with the help of 6 sheets. In everysheet, month field is common. So, I got a month parameter automatically generated by Tableau, clicking on which, only that particular month's information is displyaing in every sheet. However, out of 6 sheets, I have two sheets which contain two options "Delivered" and "Not Delivered". I want my dashboard work in such a way, if I select "Aug" month, it should activate all August month's information in all the sheets of my Dashboard and along with this, if I select Delivered option from the parameter which Tableau automatically generated, then only "Delivered" information should be display in the both sheets. Is this possible?.

2. I am using a Parameter, which allows me to display till 50 rows in a sheet. Can I use the same parameter for all the sheets available in the dashboard. Like, if I select 20 in the parameter, all sheets should display upto 20 records at a time. Is this possible?.

3. I want to send my Dashboard to client. My dashboard has 6 sheets and 1 dashboard. I want to send only Dashboard to my Client. What is the best way to do it. Can anyone suggest me please.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Krish

• 9. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
                          caitlin.donaldson

Hi Krish,

I'll try to answer these as best I can.

1. It sounds like a filter would suffice for the Delivered/No Delivered option you want.  A parameter may be adding complication to the dashboard where it doesn't need to be.  Just make sure to set the filter to Global.  Some information on what I am talking about: Quick Filters: Add Simple Interactivity | Tableau Public.

2. Honestly, I have little experience with parameters so there may be someone better suited to answer this question.

3. I would recommend hiding the sheets (right-click on each sheet and select "Hide").  That way only the dashboard is showing.  Then save the dashboard as a .twbx (instead of the default .twb).  Send the dashboard along and ask the client to download Tableau Reader, which is free (Tableau Reader | Tableau Software).  The other way costs money and that would be through Tableau Online (Tableau Online | Tableau Software). 

I hope these answers are helpful!

Caitlin

• 10. Re: How can I save Tableau reports in Excel Sheets?.
                            Krish Mukka

Thank you so much Caitlin :-)..

These are very helpful...

Regards,

Krish.