9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 2:41 PM by Corey Meier

Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart

Corey Meier

Hi,

My goal is to create a dashboard that will allow the user to see at a project or customer level the x-y coordinate value.  Since there may be overlapping marks, when the user hovers over the mark, I want the tooltip to identify how many customers or projects are at that location.  Then when the user clicks on a mark, a separate view on the dashboard will list all the unique projects or customers that reside at that location.

In the attached workbook, I have 3 different approaches:

1) Project Level - coordinates at a project level only

2) Customer Level - coordinate at a customer level only

3) Combined Customer/Project Level - Use a parameter to switch between project or customer.  The customer x-y coordinates will be the average of the customer's projects x-y values.  Note this approach is utlimately what I want to get working.

Note that approach number 1 (Project Level) is working correctly...where you can see by the mark color that there are overlapping marks and when you hover, the number of marks is shown...Plus, you can select a mark at the list of projects is produced.

Approaches 2 and 3 are not working properly.  Help!  As I mentioned above, ultimately I want to use approach number 3 so the user could easily flip between project or customer level.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Corey

• 1. Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
          Matt Lutton

Hi Corey:

So far, on the Customer Level, your action was set up incorrectly. You had the "detail" sheet selected for both source and target sheets--it should be Level as the source and detail as the target:

Customer Level Action error.png
          Moving on to the parameter now...

What is wrong with the parameter?  It seems to be functioning--is it not displaying the right marks?

• 2. Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
            Corey Meier

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for looking into my questions!

Good catch, but please note that the issue is that for the action to work properly, I need to only pass the calculated field called "Combined X-Y Avg".  This way, in the Customer Listing view on the right hand side of the dashboard will only display a unique list of Customers that reside at that Combined X-Y Avg coordinate (thus overlapping).

I think the problem I have with the approach is that when I add a filter in the Action for the Target, the source let's me select the calculated "Combined X-Y Avg" field but I am unable to select that value from the Target...and I am not sure why?  I know that on the s-Customer Level Detail sheet, when I have the "Combined X-Y Avg" calculated field, I get the AGG(Combined X-Y Avg) and cannot change it to discrete....

Let me know if that makes sense.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
              Matt Lutton

I see what you mean.  I'm going to ping Jonathan Drummey and see if he has any suggestions for you.  This seems like another scenario where it would be nice to treat an aggregate as a dimension (the first action is based on a discrete dimension, so no problems there--but #2 is based on an aggregate and I'm not sure how to resolve that)

• 4. Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
                Jonathan Drummey

This is a great example of how important it is to understand the distinction between measures and dimensions. That distinction drives a huge amount of behavior in Tableau - sets, filtering, data blending, filter actions, etc.

Filter Actions work on dimensions, not measures. In addition, Filter actions require that the dimension being filtered exists on both the origin and target worksheets (is on Pages, Rows, Columns, or Marks Card) which is the problem here and points to the solution.

In the 1) Project Level dashboard, there are 4 dimensions in the scatterplot that end up drawing 13 marks, though we only see 6 points. With the Dashboard action on Combined X-Y (which uniquely identifies a point), the Filter Action then filters the Project Listing for that value.

In the 2) Customer Level dashboard, there's only one Dimension, the Customer. So that has to be what is used for the Filter Action. There's already a (leftover) filter action on the s-Customer/Project Level Details worksheet, that has to be removed. Then you can add a Filter action on Customer.

Now there's the question of what to do when there are multiple customers all ending up at the same coordinate? The workaround is to use a click&drag to do a marquee selection of the area instead of clicking on a single mark. If you want to indicate that there are multiple customers with the same Combined X&Y Avg, there are a few different ways to do it, the way I'd probably go is to set up that calc as a discrete with Ignore in Table Calculations turned off and then have a SIZE() calc that has the Compute Using set to Customer.

Given the different levels of detail and different filter actions, I'd suggest using the parameter to swap worksheets on teh dashboard instead of trying to get it all to work on just two worksheets.

• 5. Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
                  Matt Lutton

Thanks Jonathan.  He is using the SIZE() calc already to find out if two marks have the same coordinates.  Is there no other way to get the results of a selection on the Customer Level to include multiple customers without lassoing over the single point shown?

• 6. Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
                    Jonathan Drummey

On the Customer level sheet you can see that the SIZE() calc is only

returning 5 because there's only the one dimension (Customer) that is used

for Addressing, there needs to be something else to partition the SIZE()

calc.

As for getting the results of the selection, the problem is that the

"thing" that is grabbed for the Filter Action is a dimension, and in this

view the top-most mark will have one Customer, and the idea is to get all

of the customers. If a Highlight Action was ok for the Customer List, then

you could use the Combined XY Average, but for a Filter Action you have to

have a dimension.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Matthew Lutton <

• 7. Re: Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
                      Corey Meier

Jonathan,

Thank you for all your help on this dashboard request.  I was able to make a dashboard that meets about 95% of my needs.  Your suggestion to select "Ignore in Table Calculations" on my x-y cordinate calcuation did the trick with displaying the number of projects or customer at the exact same calculation!

The 5% not meeting my need is due to the limitation of Dashboard actions being unable to pass a measure from one worksheet to another.  As a result, I used the click & drag recommendation you suggested...where the tooltip displays that.  I have seen a few "ideas" requesting the ability to have measures for action filtering, so hopefully that will be available in the future.

I have attached an example of my final dashboard.

Thanks again.

Corey

• 8. Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
                        Ville Tyrväinen

Would this help you?

w1.JPG.jpg

• 9. Re: Overlapping marks on an x-y axis chart
                          Corey Meier

I would actually need the "Combined Level" calculated field to go in the dashboard action filter.  Based on the Level parameter value selected, it will either use "Combined X-Y" for Project and "Combined X-Y Avg" for Customer.  But since I have an aggregation in my calculation, the "Combined Level" calculated field is a measure.

Thanks.