3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 9:36 AM by Justin Smith

Case or IIF in Custom SQL

Justin Smith

Is it possible to use a Case or IIF in a custom SQL connection? I can't seem to get either to work, and am wondering if it has something to do with my ODBC connection or simply just a syntax error.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

• 1. Re: Case or IIF in Custom SQL
          Joshua Milligan

Justin,

A CASE statement should work.  What is your source?  Are you able to share the SQL statement (or at least the CASE)?  Would it be possible to use a calculated field instead (Tableau would translate that into SQL for you).

Regards,

Joshua

• 2. Re: Case or IIF in Custom SQL
            Justin Smith

Joshua,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delayed response. I tried to do the Calculated field after pulling it into Tableau, but taking a string to an int then doing the math and wrapping it back to a string gave me weird results. I ran into this before with the ODBC > CONNX middleware > my database connection. Once I take it into Tableau as an extract it works fine, but I need/want a live connection. Plus it gave me a reason to try to learn Case in SQL

Heres the Case I had -

SELECT

CASE when mid(<Parameters.Term>,3,1) = '3'

then concat('20',left(<Parameters.Term>,2)+1)

else concat('20',left(<Parameters.Term>,2))

END

as "YEAR",

BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF,

"COURSE"."WHOLECREDIT" AS "WHOLECREDIT"

FROM "dbo"."COURSE" "COURSE"

WHERE "COURSE"."TERMCODE" = <Parameters.Term>

I converted to IIF also, but neither seem to work:

SELECT

iif(mid(<Parameters.Term>,3,1) = '3',concat('20',left(<Parameters.Term>,2)+1),concat('20',left(<Parameters.Term>,2))) as "YEAR",

Later down the line, I'm Unioning some stuff for a comparison based on <Parameters.Term>, but it fails on the first line of the select.

Any help is appreciated!

Justin

• 3. Re: Case or IIF in Custom SQL
              Justin Smith

Figured it out : "mid" is not an acceptable function. Instead it is "substring". Always something easy that I can't seem to get past...

Justin