3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 1:25 PM by Sam Bruce

Parameter list not refreshing in Data Server Extract... Bug?

Sam Bruce

This is not about dynamically updating parameters...

I've created a workbook that contains my data source connection, relevant calculations, parameters and such.  In this workbook I have a parameter with 4 elements (L4, L12, L52, YTD).  I generate the extract and publish this as a data source.  Then I create a bunch of workbooks on this data source.

Now I want to update my parameter list and add another element.  So I open the original workbook with the data source connection, edit the parameter and add in the element L26.  I save the workbook, regenerate the extract and republish to the data server.

If I open a blank workbook and connect to the Tableau Server data source I can see the updated parameter list.  However, When I open a workbook connected to that same data source, the updated parameter list is not there.

To test my sanity, I repeat the process but this time I add a new simple calculation.  I'm not insane, the new calculation shows up but the parameter list is still the original!  Bug?

The only work around I found was the following...

- Delete the parameter from the report workbooks

- Accept the warning about the impact this will have on all your sheets

- The parameter control will be removed from any dashboard/worksheet

- Your calculations should be ok

- Save, close and reopen the workbook.

- Magincally the updated parameter control will show up and your calculations will be unaffected

- You'll have to add the parameter control back to whichever dashboards/worksheets you need

Sam