4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 4:24 PM by David Rowe

Time axis on a number of days graph

David Rowe

Hi,

I am working on a viz that looks at the average number of days taken across a number of tasks.

The data contains the time taken to complete the task, computed as [date/time finish] - [date/time start]

The viz shows the average number of days across a few task types, for example:

The Y axis of the graph plots these as a number (obviously), however I thought that the viz would be a lot more user friendly if the Y axis looked at date ranges, for example, the current Y axis on the left would be more intuitive if it was closer to the example on the right:

default Y axis          What I want

100                    3 months

200                    6 months

300                    9 months

400                    1 year

ect.

Is there any way to show the Y axis as a time scale, even though my data is simply a number of days?

• 1. Re: Time axis on a number of days graph
          Matt Lutton

Could you use a calculation to convert your # of days into months?

Something like:

IF sum(NumDays) <= 90 then "3 months"

elseif sum(NumDays) <=120 then "6 months"

end

Of course, I am using 30 day months, but something like this may work--I'm just thinking aloud here.    

• 2. Re: Time axis on a number of days graph
            David Rowe

Hi Matthew,

That could be a good work around.

The way you are describing puts them into bins, which would be great for a histogram.

To simply change the axis I think the calculation would be easier such as:

(number of months) = (number of days)/30

Then use avg.(number of months) as the measure.

The only drawback  is that a value of 17 months would be easier to most users is displayed as "1 year, 5 months"

However, I still think there is something obvious we are missing

Thanks for the help

• 3. Re: Time axis on a number of days graph
              Kyle Pipkins

Could you calculate it as a DATEDIFF('month',[date/time finish], [date/time start]) and then format the axis? Or are you actually importing the difference and don't have the Finish and Start times?

Or, I just helped someone else with this using a String and converting it to a year but how about:

Originally: DATE("1/1/"+str(RIGHT([Fiscal Year],4))) - changes a string of just 2009, 2010 to be the Date field year of itself.

Converted for you: DATETIME("1/1/1111:11:11:"+str(RIGHT([TimeDifference,3)))

What do you think?

• 4. Re: Time axis on a number of days graph
                David Rowe

This is an example of the data converted to number of months using datediff

example.PNG.png

I think this is the best we will be able to get as i need to use averaging etc. for the measures which cant be done if its stored as a date/time value.

It is much better than looking at the number of days. I think its now a pretty simple viz after changing the axis marks to every three months.

Thanks for the help guys