1 2 3 4 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2019 5:55 AM by Carrie Hatcher Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
        thomas schreihart

Hi Shawn, how did you create your polygon area map where if you click on the polygon the map is blue, but if you deselect the map you can see through it. I am took at your Lubbock2 file. Any thoughts? This is my first week using Tableau.

• 16. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
          Shawn Wallwork

[Full Disclosure: Richard Leeke did all the heavy lifting on that project/workbook; back when I was a Tableau cub, and he was a Zen Master.]

Yes these particular issues you mention are difficult issues to work through, especially the 'labeling' issue. The moment you decide to go the custom shapes route, everything becomes much, much more difficult. (This is why I eventually abandoned both this viz, and this technique.) 

'Tricking' or 'Working around' Tableau's limitation no longer holds much interest for me. As Joe Mako has often said: "The juice, might not be worth the squeeze." ...So I will leave it to others to help you work through the work around. But please beware, Tableau 10 might not behave in a away that supports the workaround you come up with. Just sayin'.....

I am becoming much more aware/accepting of the idea: "Use software as it was intended to be used (and your frustrations will dissolve)."

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 17. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
            Shawn Wallwork

thomas schreihart wrote:

Hi Shawn, how did you create your polygon area map where if you click on the polygon the map is blue, but if you deselect the map you can see through it. I am took at your Lubbock2 file. Any thoughts? This is my first week using Tableau.

Ahhh Thomas, sorry to say you are deep-deep into the Tableau work-around weeds. What you want to do should be simple, and reasonably straightforward -- but it isn't. Polygons (user-defined shapes) are not something Tableau is keen on; or does well. Tableau is not a mapping software. There are some workarounds for your issue, but these almost always end up with: "...can't you just add a label to that zone?"

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums! And thanks for the question.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 18. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
              amrita dutta

Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for sharing the link, It was very useful for me to understand the whole scenario.

Regards,

Amrita Dutta.

• 19. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                amrita dutta

Hey Shawn,

i ll try to apply the change in the basic distance formula as :

((ACOS((

SIN(RADIANS(LOOKUP(AVG([Lattitude]), First()))) * SIN(RADIANS(AVG ([Lattitude]))) +

COS(RADIANS(LOOKUP(AVG([Lattitude]), First()))) * COS(RADIANS(AVG([Lattitude]))) * COS(RADIANS(AVG([Longitude])) - RADIANS(LOOKUP(AVG([Longitude]), First())))

))*6371)*1.2)

Thanks,

Amrita D

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 20. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                  Naresh AR

hey can we do the same to the action filters being used in the dashboard

• 21. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                    Jensen Lin

This is Awesome.  Thanks so much

However, is there a way we can use this in a dashboard?  Like set the distance, then see automatically the related stores?

Or say the stores had sales info, see a sum of all the stores sales??

• 22. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                      James Linkins

Hi Sarah,

This is great, I'm trying to do something very similar, but using pie charts to show the breakdown of each branch, however, when I change the mark type to pie, split the segments by Product Sub Category and control the segment size using the sum([Gross Revenue]), then several branches on the East Coast become included, despite not being within 200 miles.

Do you know why this would be happening?

Cheers, J.

• 23. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                        Bas Groothedde

Hey there,

Why are Lat and Lon kept as average?

Regards

• 24. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                          Dustin Brode

Sarah,

Thank you for the very helpful instructions. I have created a similar map, but am running into issues with facility names appearing as asterisks ("*").  Do you know why this would be happening and if there is a work around for it? my workbook is built the exact same way as yours.

Dustin

• 25. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                            . Ashish

Hi Sarah & Shawn,

Shawn Wallwork

Thanks for the wonderful post which helped in creating something similar. But it would be great if you could suggest something like this:

Once I select the Range filter to filter out the cities say from 0 to 100 miles from the origin, then I want to see the total Sales of all displayed cities only.

Now the issue where I am stuck is that because the Distance calculation is a Table Calculation, it does not filter out the Cities rather just hide the cities outside the Range. So, how to define a sum or grand total calculation which shows only the value for the displayed cities?

Hope you to see some guidance from you!

Thanks,

Ashish

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 26. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                              Nagasubramanian S

Hello Sarah,

Is it possible to get the number of points (the counts) available within our selected radius?

I have tried with lot of options but it is not functioning as each point is counting as a separate unit and the total is coming as 1 always (whatever the radius may be).

Thank in advance for your answer!!

--Naga

• 27. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                                Felix Melendez

This is an Old Thread but it would be super useful for me. I am trying to apply the same steps on my data set . I must be doing something wrong because Im not able to get the same results.

Can Anyone guide me? I can post here portions of my data .

Thanks

• 28. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                                  Joshua Gearheart

Post a workbook, I'll take a look.

• 29. Re: Distance Mapping with Radius Filter
                                    naresh.suglani.0

Hi Sarah, I've tried to replicate this but can't get the filter to work as any type of movement on the scale results in nothing. My distance values on the map are also tiny values such as 0.00005899. What have I done wrong? I can share my workbook if you're able to spot where I've gone wrong?

Kind regards,

Naresh