5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 8:48 PM by Nicholas Boeke

Set up Rserve on Windows

Sean MacRae

I'm excited about R functionality in Tableau 8.1 but am having a challenge setting up the Rserve connection. Any help?

• 1. Re: Set up Rserve on Windows
          Matt Lutton

Have you looked at this:

Impact Analytix: Business Intelligence, Predictive Analytics & Excel

I believe this blog entry should cover most of what you need.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Set up Rserve on Windows
            Sean MacRae

I started there. I followed the link to Rserve and downloaded the most recent install. I have several versions of R and R Studio installed on my machine, but the Rserve executable could not install (error: R.dll is missing).

I then read that you can install Rserve directly from CRAN, so I installed from CRAN in R Studio (successfully) but don't really know what to do from there.

When I attempt to configure the R connection in Tableau it asks for a username and profile (I'm assuming assigned by Rserve). How do I generate that? Or am I approaching this all wrong?

• 3. Re: Set up Rserve on Windows
              Matt Lutton

I know nothing on the topic, I just happened to see the blog post earlier today.  Sorry I cannot be of any more help--perhaps you can contact the blog author for some insight?

• 4. Re: Set up Rserve on Windows
                Jeffrey Shaffer

Starting from the beginning for anyone that is trying to do this.  Here's the R code.

# install Rserve package

install.packages("Rserve")

# load the Rserve package

library(Rserve)

# Starts Rserve

Rserve(debug = FALSE, args = NULL, quote=(length(args) > 1))

The Console window should display:

Starting Rserve... "c:\gsutil\R\WIN-LI~1\3.0\Rserve\libs\x64\Rserve.exe"

In Tableau, under the Help menu select "Manage R Connection..."

Select "localhost" under the Server with the default port of 6311 and then select "Test Connection" (leave the box unchecked for "Sign in with user name and password").

You should get a dialog box that says "Successfully connected to the Rserve service".

I am using R version 3.0.1.  you can use this command in RStudio to check your version.

getRversion()

Hope this helps.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Set up Rserve on Windows
                  Nicholas Boeke

this worked for me despite being on 64bit R v2.15.3 (others said I'd have troubles with Rserve having 32bit binary, but those were old posts, mostly referencing 8.1 beta)

Thanks Jeffrey!