7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 12:41 AM by Dawid Nawrot

Applyin colour scale to a group/page

Dawid Nawrot

I would like to apply a colour scale but for the scale to start-end within each group or a page.  Should I move my colour pill from Marks shelf?

• 1. Re: Applyin colour scale to a group/page
          Matt Lutton

I do not understand what you mean--can you provide more detail, and maybe some screenshots or a sample workbook?

• 2. Re: Applyin colour scale to a group/page
            Dawid Nawrot

Well I have a table

currency | monday | sunday | tuesday

GBP      |    80      |     12    |    30

EUR      |    25      |      8     |      5

If I create a pill SUM(Sales) and put it on Marks shelf as Colour it will create gradient scale and the numbers will be coloured. However I want 80 and 25 to be at the same level because they are the best in their respective currency groups. That's what I mean by group application of colour scale. Each group (whether it's column or row) should have its own scale

• 3. Re: Applyin colour scale to a group/page
              Matt Lutton

I'm not sure what your data looks like exactly, but may be able to use a WINDOW_MAX(Sum(Sales)), placed on the Color Shelf, with Compute Using set to "Currency".  If you set up a stepped, divergent color scheme, it may work for your scenario, but I don't know what your production workbook or your data source looks like.  Here's an example done with sample data:

Sample Data Window Max colors ML.png

• 4. Re: Applyin colour scale to a group/page
                Dawid Nawrot

That makes sense. I have seen Compute before just didn't put two and two together. However my colour pill doesn't have Compute Using option which seems odd..

My data looks exactly like yours I just have currency as product, and day of the week as date. so basically I would like to set up a colour scale and each currency will have 7 values (1 dark green, 1 green etc...)

Each row will effectively contain 7 values of 7 different colours

• 5. Re: Applyin colour scale to a group/page
                  Matt Lutton

I had to write a table calculation to do this.  It was just WINDOW_MAX(Sum(Sales)), placed that on the color shelf, set the compute using, and you can set up 7 stepped colors, believe.  I'll try to create an example, I was using the Beta when I created this so I couldn't upload the workbook.

• 6. Re: Re: Applyin colour scale to a group/page
                    Matt Lutton

Here's an example.  There are probably other ways to do this, some may even have better options, this is just what popped in my head when I saw the thread.  I'm not an expert on this topic, just trying to learn new things myself.

I would strongly suggest studying Jonathan Drummey's guide to Conditional Formatting in Tableau here:

Introduction

• 7. Re: Re: Applyin colour scale to a group/page
                      Dawid Nawrot

It worked, I guess with very different data (sales from 1 to 100000$) the scale will be a bit skewed.

I've got 7 values in each row. Which is fine and let's say the values are:

the biggest four are obviously practically the same colour. How can I use stepped scale to make sure all seven values are different enough so the best one is recognised quickly?