2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 11:01 AM by Gregg Ferguson

Index Function Issue - Unexpected results obtained when partition removed

Gregg Ferguson

I am trying to follow the example in the "Common Baseline" example of the link Top 10 Tableau Table Calculations | Tableau Software.  In the attached twbx:

1) the Raw Data sheet contains some time series data for a couple of securities in a portfolio

2) I created the calculation called "Age" and then set up the sheet called By Deal.  This sheet produces the correct results.  Note for each deal when Age = 1 the value is null (we don't have the data for this period).

3) The problem begins when I remove Intex_Deal_Name from the viz (see the Aggregate) sheet.  It looks like Tableau has now added the balances based on date rather age.    I was expecting the that sum for:

Age =2 would be 3,798,366,862

Age =3 would be 3,728,017,452

Age = 4 would be 3,637,460,112

and so on

How do I fix this?

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: Index Function Issue - Unexpected results obtained when partition removed
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Gregg,

It's hard to see what's going on without seeing the workbook. Are you able to post it (twbx file)?

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Index Function Issue - Unexpected results obtained when partition removed
            Gregg Ferguson

Hi Tracy – Thanks for looking in to this.  Below is a summary of the issue.

I am trying to follow the example in the "Common Baseline" example of the link Top 10 Tableau Table Calculations | Tableau Software. In the attached twbx:

1) the Raw Data sheet contains some time series data for a couple of securities in a portfolio

2) I created the calculation called "Age" and then set up the sheet called By Deal. This sheet produces the correct results. Note for each deal when Age = 1 the value is null (we don't have the data for this period).

3) The problem begins when I remove Intex_Deal_Name from the viz (see the Aggregate) sheet. It looks like Tableau has now added the balances based on date rather age. I was expecting the that sum for:

Age =2 would be 3,798,366,862

Age =3 would be 3,728,017,452

Age = 4 would be 3,637,460,112

and so on (these are the values you would get by adding up the 3 displayed values across deals for each age).

How do I fix this?