2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 2:43 AM by suresh pulapalli

Drill down from Region to Countries

suresh pulapalli

Hi,

I have data like region/country values in excel sheet. I want to show the regions(with total by that region) on the map. Once the region is clicked on the map, map should display the countries corresponding to that region. Idea is, I wanted to drill down from Regions to Countries. I tried but, some how maps are not recognized the regions. I have attached the file how it looks like.

Regards,

Suresh

• 1. Re: Drill down from Region to Countries
          Aaron Clancy

Short answer is: you can't do all of what you're asking (at least not without getting into custom geocoding)

You also can't have a click action change the level of detail on the same sheet that you are clicking.

The reason tableau doesn't recognize your regions is because they're custom values.  There is a hierarchy implied here so you can leverage that at least.  if you put country on detail and then region on color you'll get a map that shows your regions by color.  Then create a calc of:

if last() = 0 then window_sum(sum(value)) end

place this calc on your text shelf of your marks.  Set the compute using to "Country" on that field.

This should give you a map that looks like the following (South Pacific seems weird in the data)

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 10.44.01 AM.png

You can then create another map that has color at the level of country instead of region and value on text.

This can be a target for a click action.  So for example you would click on N. American above and the target chart would show the following:

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 10.46.03 AM.png

Your click action would look like this:

Dashboard>Actions>Add Action>Filter

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 10.47.15 AM.png

• 2. Re: Drill down from Region to Countries
            suresh pulapalli

Thank you Aaron. This helps me a lot.