3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2013 8:24 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Have imported custom geocoding override built in geocoding

Mark Ewing

I'm trying to use Tableau to help a client visualize some information which requires plotting customers on a map.  When I read in the data, a third of the customers' locations aren't recognized and only a few of these can successfully be edited.  I have an Excel macro which uses Nominatim to get latitude and longitude for any city/state/country combo and it exports a CSV file organized the way that Tableau wants it.  When I import the custom geocoding information, Tableau complains about even more locations but labels them as ambiguous and the only way to edit these is to input the coordinates manually.  I have several datasets which will require this treatment and anticipate that if I can make this easy enough there will be broader adoption of Tableau for this kind of visualization at my company, so I don't want to manually correct dozens to hundreds of locations.

Since I have geocoding information for each customer, is there a way to tell Tableau to completely ignore the built in Geocoding and only look at what I've provided?  Alternatively, is it possible to have Tableau ignore custom geocoding if there's a conflict and only look to those resources if it can't identify a location with the built in data?