6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 4:19 PM by Alex Kerin

How do I calculate a weighted, multi-part, running average for modeling complex projections?

Jonathan Wilkendorf

Is it possible to do something in Tableau similar to what I did in Excel on the attached workbook?  Instead of having E-avg come from Excel data, I would like to calculate it like the following Excel formula, where column B (from Excel) is measure E (in Tableau).

=AVERAGE(AVERAGE(B132:B141)*0.9,AVERAGE(B122:B131)*0.7,AVERAGE(B112:B121)*0.5,AVERAGE(B102:B111)*0.3,AVERAGE(B92:B101)*0.1)

In my attached workbook, I manually added data to the Excel sheet for "E Projection" set at -1.5% Projection Rate so you can see what I am shooting for in the “Projections (E-Excel C-Tableau)” sheet of my Tableau workbook.  I want to calculate E-avg dynamically in “C Projection (Tableau)” so that the Projection Rate parameter will control both measures accordingly.  (I'm sure there also might be a simpler formula for getting the weighted running average I'm looking for, but this formula comes close to calculation I need.)

Thanks,
      Jonathan