5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 5:53 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Load / Show Data only after all Filters are applied?

Siddharth Surana

Hey Guys

So my dashboard has >15 filters (Some global, local or even Context filters).

I currently have parameter (Filtering Complete?) and a calc field applied to that which basically Shows or Hides the data

So when the user is done filtering, he changes the parameter from "Not Complete" to "Completed Filtering".

But the problem with this approach is, even when users are filtering on quick filters and the parameter is set to "Not Complete", it still  takes a lot of time to load as it is building the viz in the back end even if it is not displaying it?

Can you guys recommend a filtering mechanism such that while the users are filtering the data, it  does not load the viz in the back end. Only once the Filtering is complete. they set the parameter to "Filtering Complete" and it then loads and displays the visualization.

Any suggestions to improve performance would be appreciated

-Sid

• 2. Re: Load / Show Data only after all Filters are applied?
          Siddharth Surana

Thanks for the good news. Cant wait

• 3. Re: Load / Show Data only after all Filters are applied?
            Jonathan Drummey

FYI, the new 8.1 feature is offered per-filter, not for all filters, from what I've seen so far.

In terms of improving performance & usability, Here are some suggestions:

- Turn off Show Only Relevant Values on your Quick Filters.

- In 8.0.4 there's also a new control for turning off the acceleration views that Tableau tries to make for Quick Filters, see http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/releases for details.

- Take a serious look at context filters. While they can be used to control the order of filter operations, when used for that purpose they are likely to slow down interaction because of how they work. Tableau suggested somewhere that you're only likely to see performance gains for context filters when the data is reduced to 1/10th or less of the original size by a given context filter.

- Consider not using parameters and instead using fields from your data sources, even if that means you need to pad out your data. When you have parameters, changing parameter values will cause Tableau to miss the cache.

- Have the filtering/parameter configuration happen on an entirely separate worksheet/dashboard, that is set up to have really fast performance (possibly via a data source filter or a context filter), then have a "Go" button that is a Filter Action that goes to the destination worksheet/dashboard.

- Finally, consider re-designing your dashboard. A dashboard with >15 different switches could be trying to answer too many questions at once, there might be possibilities for multiple, simpler dashboards, with multiple data sources.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Load / Show Data only after all Filters are applied?
              Siddharth Surana

Thanks Jonathan.

That was really helpful. Unfortunately, we have built a data source that solves a lot of problems and as we want to roll it out for the entire company to use, we are releasing just 2 versions of the workbook to solve various question and to self explore the workbook / data source. I am aware of the fact that Tableau works best when you solve one simple problem per dashboard, but our users are so varied that I ended up having no option but to put them all in one.

I have 4 context filters and each of those restrict data by >20% and hence thought it would be a good idea to do it.

"- Have the filtering/parameter configuration happen on an entirely separate worksheet/dashboard, that is set up to have really fast performance (possibly via a data source filter or a context filter), then have a "Go" button that is a Filter Action that goes to the destination worksheet/dashboard." - That is a great suggestion. I will implement this by creating one worksheet which does not have too many marks and is relatively quick to load / filter data and then have the Go button take you to the detailed page that shows the filtered detailed data. I like this.

I copied this from the Tableau 8. 0 . 4 release notes. I am not exactly sure how to start using this / Implement this?

• Added a new TDC option: CAP_SUPPRESS_QUICK_FILTER_ACCELERATION_VIEWS. This option prevents Tableau from issuing queries to construct acceleration views for relative values quick filters. This option can be used in cases where product performance was degraded when using quick filters. See Knowledge Base article Customizing ODBC Connections for more information on using TDC files

I think this could be a fix for us in the short term and it would be helpful if you can say how to implement this.

Thanks again

-Sid

• 5. Re: Load / Show Data only after all Filters are applied?
                Jonathan Drummey

I haven't worked with this directly (I'm not even on 8.0.4 yet), you'd have to see the Knowledgebase article that you linked to, that has the details.

Also you might try using the Performance Recorder to see where the view is getting slow, that could help you narrow down where performance is suffering.

Finally, I went to a couple of different tuning workshops at the Tableau Customer Conference, and again and again I heard that all else being equal, we'll get better performance from multiple smaller data sources. This matches up with my own experience, where trying to build the "mother of all data sources" leads to a data source that can answer many different questions, slowly.

Jonathan