8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 1:04 PM by Russell Christopher Branched from an earlier discussion.

Tableau Deskyop v8 Microsoft SQL Server connection

David Goldstone

Hi

I have tried this evening to install SQL Server 2008 R2 drivers and I still get the following error message:

"SQL Server database error 0x80004005: Server name cannot be determined.  It must appear as the first segment of the server's dns name (servername.database.windows.net).  Some libraries do not send the server name, in which case the server name must be included as part of the user name (username@servername).  In addition, if both formats are used, the server names must match.

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database."

I am using Tableau Desktop v8 trying to connect to xxxxx.database.windows.net,1433 using the Microsoft SQL Server connection on the Connect to data

This really has me and my client stumped. My client is in the US and I am in the UK and he is using an Azure database from what I can gather.

However, I can connect using Microsoft SQL Server R2 outside of Tableau. But when I try to connect using Excel 2007 i can initially get past the SQL connection dialogue box then I can see the database, but on the next log on screen it fails and has this error message

"Connection Failed:

SQLState '42000'

SQL Server Error  4060

Cannot open database xxx requested by login. The log in failed"

Help..!!