1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 2:38 PM by Russell Christopher

Building multiple connections to Star Schemas

Ron Chipman

All,

We are major newbies to leveraging Tableau in a more structured, corporate environment, and wanted to know if we were missing something that seems a little straight forward to us.  I will try to recreate our process, and see if it helps to frame the question better.

We are building new data sources using the data connection modal, filling in all of the tables and joins, etc., and have a few cases where we have very similar stars, and just need to do a "cut & paste" of the fact table, and it isn't letting us.  If we cut the fact table, we lose all of the tables.  Here is what we did:

1. From the edit connection modal, we start with 'single table' and chose our fact table.

2. We then go through and chose all of our dimension tables, choosing the fields that we want to expose, etc.
      3. Connect live,
      4. Do all of our metadata edits, groupings, hierarchies, etc.,
      5. Publish the empty extract, and let it populate...
      6. Then, when we move on to star schema #2, we pull down the data source #1
      7. Create a local copy
      8. Then go into "edit tables", or "edit connections"
      9. And then want to remove the fact table and just insert the new fact table
      10. If you remove the fact table, it prompts you that everything is going
      11. If I insert the new fact table, and then try to edit all of the joins first, it doesn't give me the new fact table as an option (?)

All of our metadata and fields are exactly the same, so going this route will save us hours of work.  What am I missing?

Thanks to any and all who may offer up suggestions !!

Regards,

Ron

• 1. Re: Building multiple connections to Star Schemas
          Russell Christopher

Hey Ron -

We don't directly support the type of editing that you're after. As you've discovered, if you whack the first table you selected, you'll also lose all the associated tables.

The data source itself is expressed as XML, however. If you're handy with a text editor, you might be able to crack open the data source, and do a search and replace to substitute "Fact Table 1" with "Fact Table2". Make sure you do this on a COPY of your workbook, and keep in mind there is absolutely no documentation on this process - you'd have to do some reverse engineering on your own to get it done.

Hope this helps (a little).