7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 1:38 PM by Mark Pelletier

Nasty trap when hacking the XML of a workbook

Richard Leeke

I just wasted a few hours tracking this one down and I as I haven't seen anyone else mention it I thought I'd pass it on.

We often automate making minor changes to Tableau workbooks - things like changing connection details prior to publishing. I generally just do that with a Perl script and have never had any issues.

But today we were doing the same sort of thing for automating publication of a workbook integrated into an application, written in .NET. So instead of scripting it in Perl we accessed and modified the workbook using a .NET framework XML parser.

The modified workbook opens fine from Desktop, but won't publish to Server from tabcmd. It gives this error:

[9372] ERROR  Sep-04 05:00:34,667: An unexpected error occurred opening the packaged workbook.

Operation Canceled.

[9372] DEBUG  Sep-04 05:00:34,667: Received ExitWithStatus, code 1

[9372] DEBUG  Sep-04 05:00:34,667: file:/D:/Tableau/Tableau Server/8.0/bin/tabcmd.jar!/tabcmd/lib/multicommand.rb:100:in `run_each'

To cut a long story short, it turns out that the Microsoft XML parser writes the modified file out as a UTF-8 file with a byte order mark (BOM). The Unicode standard allows a BOM on a UTF-8 file but recommends against it because it can break things, as discussed in this Wikipedia article. Evidently so.

The BOM is just three non-printing bytes at the start of the file and can easily be stripped off (just not with an MS XML parser).

BOM.png

Of course hacking the workbook is unsupported - and this just goes to demonstrate why.