11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 4:21 PM by Julius

AWS Redshift

Dan Horowitz

Is anyone using Redshift with Tableau?  If so, to mine/analyze what kind of data?  How big a data set?  Any significant differences from other uses/implementations?

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: AWS Redshift
          Russell Christopher

Hey Dan -

Tableau employee here. We have a bunch of customers on Redshift, and nearly all of them are doing quite well. The size of the dataset is actually irrelevant because of Redshift's performance characteristics. The only folks I know who are having any problem are those trying to import lots of data from Redshift to Tableau -- because of a problem with Amazon' driver.

If you do a quick search of the forums, you should see some folks talking about Redshift.

• 2. Re: AWS Redshift
            Dan Horowitz

Thanks, Russell!  Will do.

Quick question... if the size of the dataset is irrelevant, does this mean Tableau works differently than other BI apps and if so, how?

Thanks,

Dan

• 3. Re: AWS Redshift
              Russell Christopher

The size of the dataset is irrelevant because Tableau itself isn’t generally doing the “heavy lifting” when it comes to answering a question – Redshift is. When you ask “show me the sum of sales per region” across 10 billion rows – the “real work” goes on at the database level (Redshift). Redshift simply a few, highly aggregated “answer rows” to us, like:

East: 10

West: 15

North: 20

South: 8

We just plot those 4 things.

• 4. Re: AWS Redshift
                Dan Horowitz

Got it.  Thanks, Russell.  So the row limit only affects extracts and not

the actual size of datasets being queried.

Any news on the connector issues folks seemed to be having?

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Russell Christopher <

• 5. Re: AWS Redshift
                  Russell Christopher

Someone just posted that Amazon has come up with an initial fix. Good news!

• 6. Re: AWS Redshift
                    Julius

I can't connect to Redshift on 8.1. It works on my 8.0. Any ideas on where I can get the fix?

• 7. Re: AWS Redshift
                      Ashley Jaschke

Hi Julius,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems.  A few questions for you:

1) What version of 8.0 were you running before upgrading to 8.1?

2) Are you receiving any specific error messages?

Thanks,

Ashley

Tableau Software, Product Manager

• 8. Re: AWS Redshift
                        Julius

1) Version 8 works fine for me. My version is 8.0.4.

2) With 8.1, on the data connection dialog, I get as far as step 4. It's able to to the handshake and authorization all the way up to step 4, but on step 5 nothing shows up when I try to pull the drop-down to pick a schema. There are no error messages, just the fact that nothing is populated in step 5.

• 9. Re: AWS Redshift
                          Ashley Jaschke

The core issue is that cursors are not currently supported on single-node Redshift instances (only multi-node instances). Tableau 8.1 and 8.0.5 uses cursors by default to enumerate schemas, which is why single node instances are missing them.

Amazon is adding support of cursors on single-node Redshift instances, but we do not have an exact ETA yet.

If you would like to discuss further, please reach out to me directly via email: ajaschke@tableausoftware.com

Thanks,

Ashley

• 10. Re: AWS Redshift
                            Ashley Jaschke

Cursor support has been added for single-node Redshift instances.   Please upgrade to the latest Tableau maintenance release 8.1.3 (or 8.0.7) and any single-node cursor issues should be resolved.

Ashley Jaschke

Product Manager, Tableau Software

• 11. Re: AWS Redshift
                              Julius

Great news for us prototyping on a single node. Thanks for the update.