4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 2:35 PM by Reed Hanson

refreshing dashboards question

Reed Hanson

I am seeking a way to easily refresh or republish a dashboard when the desktop license holder is out of the office.  Often times it is impractical to fully automate/schedule an update to a published dashboard on the Tableau server.  Does anyone have a convenient way to do this when the license holder is out of the office?  We have some user groups who want additional desktop licenses simply to be able to have a back up person
      who refreshes/republishes a dashboard when the primary person is on vacation.

• 1. Re: refreshing dashboards question
          Jen Vaughan

Please give more information to your use case. As I know it there is no batch processing to publish views. Scheduling an extract refresh should work in most situations or a Live Connection.

• 2. Re: refreshing dashboards question
            Gengming Chen

Hey, Reed,

Because all you need is to refresh the extract. I would try to use windows remote control.

If your IT can set up a remote control to your colleague's computer that has the desktop version, then you could simply remote in and refresh the extract that way...

Leo

• 3. Re: refreshing dashboards question
              Reed Hanson

Jen,

We have the ability here to schedule /auto update dashboard publication if we have a single data source, such as a spreadsheet or .csv file that we can feed into an extract, or we can simply direct connect the published dashboard to a data base table or view.

The issue we have is that a number of users create dashboards using several data sources and patch them together in Tableau v7 with data blending, and we can’t seem to make those workbooks refresh on a schedule. Someone has to re-publish them to accomplish a refresh.

Because of this, we have teams who are requesting multiple licenses simply to have a second person who can re-publish when the primary is out.  I suppose we could tell the users to just re-design all their dashboards and avoid data blending, but we want to be as supportive as possible.

Thanks,

Reed

Reed Hanson

Revenue Management Development

817-931-3153 Office

• 4. Re: refreshing dashboards question
                Reed Hanson

Leo,

Thanks for your input.  While that sounds viable from a  Remote Desktop connection view, our IT security prohibits us from logging into another person’s computer (remotely or not).

I appreciate the idea, though.

Reed

Reed Hanson

Revenue Management Development

817-931-3153 Office