4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 8:48 AM by Dana Withers

How to update values in already published workbook on Tableau Online

Jacques Guitard

TD = Tableau Desktop

I have published a workbook (via Tableau Desktop) on Tableau online and the expectation is that I should be able to update its values using an updated data source rather than having to re-publish the workbook.

I have successfully configured a BAT file which pulls down new data from my database (stored on a private database) and it is able to push the data to the appropriate data source on Tableau Online without any problems.

The problem arises when I try to view the new values in my already published workbook on Tableau Online. The values do not get updated from the data source and when I select the refresh option, the data still doesn't get pushed into the workbook.

I have tried testing the method above, with the exception of creating the workbook itself on Tableau Online, and the data refreshes without any issues (I have to manually select refresh- but that's okay)

Automatic updates are on for the published workbook from TD.

Is there something I am missing here?  Can you only update a workbook that is created on Tableau Online, and not from what is published from TD

Some help on the issue would be great.