I'm not familiar with Tableau Online, but I had a similar issue with a published workbook on our Server. Maybe you've done the same thing I've done... and it works the same way (just a guess sorry)
When you created the workbook, did you create it from a datasource that was not online and then publish both data source and workbook? Or did you create your workbook from the published data source?
If option number one, then your workbook does not realise that the datasource should be a published one... it will use the local version. Once you've created a workbook and publish the datasource in it, you then have to connect to the published datasource and replace your existing one with the published one before publishing your workbook.
Hope that makes sense.
Thank you for the prompt reply Dana.
I will give that a shot and keep you posted!
Thank you so very much for providing me with your solution!
I went ahead and reselected my data source from the local extract it creates, to that of the data source published on Tableau Online.
After connecting to my data source, published on Tableau Online, I was able to see the updated values after toggling the refresh button.
I went ahead in my systems and added some new values, ran the BAT file to push the updates to the data source on Tableau Online, and sure enough, the data within the published workbook updated as well!
Thank you again for the help Dana
haha... I'm glad I wasn't the only one totally thrown by this. Took me quite a while to figure it out, although retrospectively it makes a lot of sense, it is a little annoying that if you publish a datasource from a workbook it doesn't automatically understand to us the published version rather than the one that is there
Glad it is working