5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 9:02 AM by Matt Lutton

Graphics with target

Mery Chavez

Hi Everyone.

I need to make a graph similar to the attached. Where each of the variables are measured, and according to a target different for each measured, gap is obtained for difference between target and operation.

In Tableu, I could make the first bars of the percentage obtained in the operation. but i have issue with  target value which is different for each of the measures and color the gap in the graph

• 1. Re: Graphics with target
          Shawn Wallwork

Hi Mery, please allow me to welcome you to the forums. Generally we are a positive and helpful place, where you never need to feel you can't ask the most basic question. Several of us 'old hands' have developed a set of guidelines to help you get the most out of your forum experience. We really hope you will read this document, as we sincerely believe it will help you better explain your question/issue -- and provide us with the tools we need to answer.

If you are willing to invest just a short amount of time reading the above document, I am willing to personally make sure your question gets answered. Deal?

Great!

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Re: Graphics with target
            Mery Chavez

Hi Shawn, Thanks your recommendation. I

I want to do is the following:

1. I have calculated  13 variables  and I have used that in the graph shown in the attachment workbook.  I made this in the calculated variables

SUM([a15]) / TOTAL(SUM([Número de registros])), because I need to known the percent in function this variable and I do not need the percent of total row or total column.

2. I want to make a KPI in this graph.  I would like assign for each variables a target for achieving. For example: The variable "a16" (view attach workbook)  have 11.78% but mi target is 30%  and the gap is the 18.22% . How to do this?

Can you help with this.

• 3. Re: Graphics with target
              Matt Lutton

Hey Mery and welcome to the forums!

Your workbook is not packaged (data not included).  Please save as a .twbx file and re-upload in order to get the best help from the forum.

KPIs can be easily created with Calculated Fields, if you want the targets to be static.  If you want them to be dynamic, or user-controlled, you will want to use parameters.  If you are not familiar with either of these concepts, there are several great training videos (both by Tableau, and by others on YouTube, etc) demonstrating how these work.

• 4. Re: Re: Graphics with target
                Mery Chavez

Hi Matthew

Thanks.

Sorry, I attach the workbook again.

Maybe, KPSs can be easily but I have problems in this workbook because I want the target for each variables and I do not how to do.

• 5. Re: Re: Graphics with target
                  Matt Lutton

You can just write calculated fields, like "A16 target".  That calculation can either be something like "A16*1.15" or if you want a static number like 30% in your example, just type .3 in the calculation, and you know have the target value as a measure.  And, again, you can create parameters so that users can input the target value themselves to see comparisons that way.

Creating the stacked bars is a different matter--I'm not very experienced with using KPIs in this way, so perhaps someone else can help there. It seems that typically, a stacked bar is creating by placing a dimension on the color shelf, and I'm not sure that applies to your situation (maybe Measure Names on the color shelf would work depending on your setup)

One thing is for sure--comparing measures is perfectly doable in Tableau, it just takes time to learn how things operate within the software.

This may be helpful reading as well: Budgets Vs Actuals – part I - The Information Lab