5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 3:03 PM by Joshua Milligan

Help creating a time-based room utilization visualization

Dave Fobert

Hello, I am a relatively new user to Tableau and am running into a bit of trouble.  I'm attempting to create a visualization to show room utilization for courses.  I manage a medical education training center in a hospital and we host around 700 courses a year.  We have 7 different rooms and may host multiple courses simultaneously.  For example, we might have some surgeons practicing suturing in one room while we run a mass casualty scenario in the back.

What I am attempting to highlight is that the center is under-used at certain hours and at capacity at others.  For example, we tend to be very busy in the morning and late afternoon and quiet in the late mornings and early afternoons when the physicians are in clinic.  So our overall utilization may be as low as say 40% but we're at 100% during peak hours.  I am trying to develop a highlight table of events throughout the day to look for overall trends.  This is proving to be very difficult in Tableau and I haven't found a good way to accomplish this.

I am collecting data in an Excel spreadsheet with the intention of it eventually living on a SQL server.  What I want to be able to do is have Tableau look at the range of times and show what rooms are the busiest at set intervals of say 15 minutes.  So ignore the date, and just look at the times.  From there I would want to be able to have several filters to limit the date range, or only show one department, or one learner group, etc.  I have no clue on how to do this in an efficient manner so I did a proof of concept and created a new spreadsheet appropriately entitled "Kludge" just so I could see if this would be useful to me.  The problem is it is horribly inefficient and two weeks of data takes up a whopping 895 lines.

I am hoping these is a more effective way to draw this visualization and any tips/tricks would be appreciated!  Attached is a screenshot of the rough visualization as well as the project file and sample data I am working with.  Thank you!