4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 10:23 AM by David White

Percent of total question

David White

I am trying to calculate the number and percent of total customers who purchased the entire range of quantities for a given year. I have customers who have purchased from 1 to 42 (I believe) times for the products in question. I believe I have the percent of total showing correctly in the bars on this chart, but I cannot seem to also show the actual percentage. (For example, for those that have purchase only once I see the bar is about 41%, but I cannot calculate and show the actual percentage.)

I am only able to calculate each individual as a percentage of the entire table. I would greatly appreciate any help.

David

• 1. Re: Percent of total question
          Joshua Milligan

David,

There's something kind of funny going on with your view.  I don't think the numbers are adding up correctly.  Just a quick check -- filter your view to CustomerID 7867.  Your view shows an item quantity of 17  -- but Customer 7867  had an Item quantity sum of 33.

Try using a bin (right click the [Item Quantity] field and create bins.  You can use the bin as a dimension which will work much more nicely with the table calculations.  I've attached a workbook to demonstrate.

Regards,

Joshua

• 2. Re: Percent of total question
            David White

Thank you, Joshua Milligan! I think what you might have missed was the ItemID filter that was filtering this report to include only 11 items. My number for that customer are correct at 17, but your binning was exactly what I needed (and was unaware of) to get the discrete % of Total on that row to use ItemQuantity.

This forum and the helpful people on it are exactly why I chose Tableau. Thank you so much!

David

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Percent of total question
              Joshua Milligan

David,

I did miss that!  I'm glad it worked and always am happy to help!

Regards,

Joshua

• 4. Re: Percent of total question
                David White

Hi Joshua,

I apologize for my lack of familiarity with the bins, but now that I'm looking at the numbers I am wondering if they're actually pulling the right data (I suspect not). You can see that in my original the percentage of people that purchased the set of items in question only once was around 40%, but using the bins this has jumped to 87%. I am wondering if this is simply looking at orders with an ItemQuantity of 1 rather than total number of purchases by the customer.

Ultimately where we're trying to get is an ability to show XX% of customers ordered this set of products once, XX% ordered twice and so on. The binning would suggest our repeat purchase rate for these products is under 15%, which we know isn't true.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

David