8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 2:34 PM by Madeline Stein

Creating Bins

Madeline Stein

Is there an easy way to create bins for a number of different dimensions at one time?  I have 60 items and I want to create bins for each one.

• 1. Re: Creating Bins
          Mark Holtz

Hi Madeline,

Not positive on what you're after. Are you saying you have 60 dimensions that you want to create bins for, or that you have 60 members in a single dimension? Or something else?

You can Ctrl+click on multiple fields then right click and "combine fields." (concatenation, I believe)

Then with that field that gets created, you can right click and  "create group."

Does that help? If you need more assistance, can you please post a packaged workbook, or give more information?

So Your Question Didn't Get Answered...

• 2. Re: Creating Bins
            Madeline Stein

I have 60 unique dimensions, data type is a number, and for each unique dimension I want to create bins.  I am hoping there is a shortcut to create the bins at one time rather than have to repeat the bin creation 60 times.

I tried combining fields.  This converted the data type from a number to a string and I was not able to create groups or bins after I combined fields.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Re: Creating Bins
              Cristian Vasile

Madeline,

The .twb workbook files are XML based, you could do a "surgical" intervention and clone bins settings for first dimension to the remaining ones.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cristian.

• 4. Re: Creating Bins
                Madeline Stein

I am still having trouble with this.  I rearranged the data so I now can create 1 bin with all prices and apply it to all items at once.  In the attached workbook I want to do the following:

If FP/TT is 1 then apply calculation 1 and if FP/TT is 2 then apply calculation 2.  Calculation 1 should create 1 line in the start going from 100% to 0% and Calculation 2 should create a second line going from 0% to 100%.  I tried an IF statement to apply the FP/TT criteria to the calculation but I get an error message that aggregate and non-aggregate expressions can not be mixed in if expressions.

• 5. Re: Creating Bins
                  Dana Withers

Try this: If avg([FP/TT]) = 1 then [Calculation1] else [Calculation2] end

Because calculation 1 and 2 both use aggregates, your IF statements should do the same. However, since it is only 1 or 2, use the average = that's always the same across the range (if you use a single select filter that is)

Hope that helps.

• 6. Re: Creating Bins
                    Madeline Stein

I tried the suggested Calculation, see Sheet 1 Calculation 3.  But I end up with just one line.

Sheet 2 is the picture and analysis I need to get to.  The set up is right but the data for all respondents is counted in both Calculation 1 and in Calculation 2.   I want Calculation 1 to be based on FP/TT=1 and Calculation 2 to be based on FP/TT=2

In Sheet 3 I tried applying the suggested IF statement right to Calculation 1 and 2 but I can’t get a smooth line

Madeline Stein

Senior Consultant

416-943-0505 x 141

• 7. Re: Re: Creating Bins
                      Dana Withers

Hi Madeline,

I'm still a bit confused by your question - if you want sheet 2, then you have it ?

However if you want Calc 1 to only count the FPTT '1's then using number of records is not a good idea as number of records is 1 regardless of the FPTT value.

Here is an attempt though: try first to separate FPTT 1 from 2 by creating a calc field that returns just 1 for each, or null if it is the other. (so that is one calc per FPTT value)

Then create calc 1 with the FPTT 1 field and calc 2 with the FPTT 2 field.

Then map them.

The result looks like Sheet 2, but has slightly different values, so the crossover is at a slightly different point.

Hope that helps,

Dana

• 8. Re: Creating Bins
                        Madeline Stein

That solution worked.  Thank you!