2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 10:03 AM by nick.stuchbery

Performance - Desktop to to cloud database performance 50x faster than server in same cloud to database to create view!!

nick.stuchbery

Hello everyone!

I wonder if anyone has experienced this - or if it is normal??  I have a workbook on Desktop that is connected to a SQL Server hosted in the cloud.  I do not use an extract. Due to database growth, I do not see this as an option in the future.  The database is only 90 Mb in size at the moment but normal production databases will be in the many Gb. 

When I open a worksheet in desktop, the wait is only a couple of seconds.  When I publish the workbook to the server, and I'm the only one using the server, it may take a few minutes to run the visual and to refresh it's date parameter filter.  The server has 32 gb of ram and has a xeon 8 core cpu... both the tableau server and the sql server.

Does anyone have any experience in this??

Help!

• 1. Re: Performance - Desktop to to cloud database performance 50x faster than server in same cloud to database to create view!!
          Russell Christopher

Hey Nick --

It's difficult to say whether this is a "cloud thing" or more a vanilla "performance thing" at this point. Can you do a little bit more testing for the group and give us additional info?

• In Tableau Desktop view each of the worksheets that are rendered in the dashboard/view that you're having problems with. How many Marks are being rendered? (You'll find this info in the lower-left hand corner of the Desktop's status bar)
          • Use this information (Create a Performance Recording) to create a performance recording of your report in server. This article (Creating a #Tableau Server time machine with Performance Recorder | Tableau Love) will tell you how to permanently save/package it so you can save/post it.
          • Use this information to record performance in Tableau Desktop for the same report Create a Performance Recording
          • Can you put Desktop on your server box and see if connectivity behavior to SQL is the same? It may be that your server's route to the cloud is different than your machine, and this is part of the issue.

Let us know what you find.

• 2. Re: Performance - Desktop to to cloud database performance 50x faster than server in same cloud to database to create view!!
            nick.stuchbery

Thanks Russell.

The viz that I am using as my guineau pig is just a histogram of hourly counts - so 8-9pm, so...14 marks?

I ran the performance monitor and it pretty much said-----go to the database and fix.  I did a trace on opening up that viz, and was quite amazed at all the sql going into the chart.  A LOT of creating indexes, a long time creating a context table once or twice, and some lengthy time spent on selecting an if statement. 

In my worksheet - Three context fields used.  I made all 7 filters into context, and it did shave some time from the view load, but still not acceptable.. I guess what my issue/challenge is - how does one balance performance between a viz and a sql database? Why does Tableau have to create indexes for all of those fields - used or unused, or count distinct all those fields that I use in other worksheets but not this one?  Should I have indexes on the database for all fields or..??  Question....when and what  does tableau make the database do to create a viz - this one has hours as a column and count(field) for the rows....

cheers