5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 10:41 AM by Mark Silverberg

Tableau Desktop data connection to Heroku Postgres issue: Invalid username or password

Adi Sutanto

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Tableau Desktop
      2. Connect to Data, PostgreSQL
      3. Login to Heroku Postgres, select one of the database (assuming you have one), copy paste the connection detail to Tableau (I obfuscate the parameter values), e.g.:
        1. Step 1: Enter a server name: ec2-111-111-111-111.compute-1.amazonaws.com
        2. Step 2: Enter a database on the server: a1aaaaa1a1111a
        3. Step 3 Username: aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
        4. Step 3 Password: <password>
        5. Step 4: Connect
      4. Will encounter "Invalid username or password." unexpectedly even if every parameter values are correct.

I have tried the combination of several Heroku Postgres databases, and Tableau Desktop 8.0.3, 8.0.2, 7.0.17, 7.0.15 but all encounters the same problem. However, connecting with PostgreSQL client such pgAdmin will have no issue at all.

This might help. I tried to connect to Heroku Postgres using SquirrelSQL with PostgreSQL JDBC driver and encounter error:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host <host>, user <user>, database <database>, SSL off

I guess Tableau might have the same SSL issue.