11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 4:10 PM by Lila Carpenter

How to count multiple choice results?

nikita.lavrov

Hey. I use Tableau Public to visualize some survey results from typeform.com. In their .xls file all the multiple choice answers are divided by columns by number of possible answers. It looks like this

IdWi-fi at homeWi-fi at workNo wi-fi
      1Wi-fi at home
      2Wi-fi at homeWi-fi at work
      3No wi-fi

I need to see how many people answered what. The only choice is to combine these three dimensions into one. But it only helps to count score for each combination, not for each answer (which is even more upsetting when it's combination of 10+ answers).

What would you recommend me to do to count each answer separately?

• 1. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
          Alex Kerin

I would recommend you read the 4 part series on survey analysis that Steve wrote - it's very good:

http://www.datarevelations.com/using-tableau-to-visualize-survey-data-part-1.html

It covers your question nicely.

• 2. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
            Agnes Abel

Hi Nikita,

Thank you for using Typeform. We are at the moment developing advanced statistics reports in Typeform and will keep your request in mind when defining the type of statistics which our users might need.

What is the specific question you would like to explore with your survey?

Feel free to let me know so we can think about how Typeform can help you create the best survey to explore it.

Best wishes,

Agnes Abel

agnes@typeform.com

Customer support

Typeform team

• 3. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
              Allan Walker

Agnes,

An export to IBM SPSS format would probably help your users.  Steve (Wexler) has been working on a MS EXCEL export of one of our SPSS survey files, and his method of reshaping and formatting surveys is quite simply, awesome.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 4. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
                Agnes Abel

Hi Allan,

Thank you very much for the valuable feedback!

We are at the moment working on defining the export functions of Typeform to be developed in the next phase.

It would be great if we could have a quick chat with you and possibly Steve Wexler to get to know your thoughts on this topic.

Would you be available on phone/Skype for ~20 minutes sometime in the next weeks?

Best wishes,

Agnes

agnes@typeform.com

Customer support

Typeform team

• 5. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
                  nikita.lavrov

The articles you provided are useful, but it turned out, that method lacks a possibility to filter by one of the answers given in multiple choice question.

In my case there's for example a multiple choice question "what gadgets do you have?". I want to filter those who has Andriod smartphone and see how likely they are to carry tablets, headphones and laptops along with their Android. I want also to apply this filter across different questions: see if Andrid users drive an SUV or a truck or both.

Perfectly I should be able to see the probability of owning different vehicles by not just Android users but particularily by Android users who also have "Monster Beats" headphones.

As far as I see, there's no solution to this. I asked this at Steve's blog, but he hasn't responded.

So you have any idea?

• 6. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
                    Allan Walker

Agnes,

I'm not the expert.  Steve Wexler is!  But I would be happy to help.  Our workflow for surveys tends to be either Cardiff Teleform or Qualtrics -> SPSS -> Excel or Microsoft SQL -> Tableau.  I am typically quite time-crunched, but I feel this would be useful to the community, as Tableau is a great way to visualize survey results.  Steve is about to blog post about one of the surveys we did (NSSE) and how his technique can make it look even better, and reduce the process overhead.  His work is awesome.  We have previously emulated his technique as you can see in my blog post.

Nikita,  I can't promise you anything, but if you have some data, I'll certainly have a go at meeting your requirements.  Do you have a CSV file you can share?  In the mean time, have a look at how one of our surveys works, so you can see what you are asking is possible.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 7. Re: Re: How to count multiple choice results?
                      nikita.lavrov

Thanks.

It seems that what I see by Utah State University isn't the case I describe at all. See, they filter data by single-answer parameters. Each filter represents one question which can be responded only with one answer. And this case is covered in Steve's article.

My case is different: back to the attached data, I want to see what kind of music Android smartphone users listen to, how old are they, are they employed and what other devices they own besides an Android phone.

• 8. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
                        Agnes Abel

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the links and the info, we will check out both your post and the one coming up from Steve Wexler, and we'll get back to you/him if we have any further questions!

Bye,

Agnes

• 9. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
                          Agnes Abel

Hi Nikita,

I took a look at your Excel table.

On the first tab, it's possible to filter for those respondents only, who have an Android smartphone (you need to apply the filter on column L). I then copied only these respondents onto a separate tab, and then with COUNT, AVERAGE and COUNTIF functions, you can calculate the % of other parameters within the Android smartphone holder group.

I started doing these calculations and I will be happy to share this Excel file with you so you can take a look, just please drop me an email.

I know this is a manual and time-consuming way to do the analyses, not manageable with large amount of data - we are working on providing this function for you in Typeform sometime in the future!

Best wishes,

Agnes

agnes@typeform.com

Customer support

Typeform team

• 10. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
                            Allan Walker

Hi Nikita,

I've just taken a look at the MS EXCEL file.  I would have to do a lot of pre-processing/re-shaping to get it to meet your requirements.

If this is urgent, let me know, but otherwise I think working with Agnes to help typeform export will be a good way forward.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 11. Re: How to count multiple choice results?
                              Lila Carpenter

Hi Agnes,

I realize I'm replying to a dead thread, but do you know if Typeformalready has a way to send data to Tableau directly? Or if it's potentially in the works?

Thanks!

- Lila