how can you export the .twbx file?
maybe this link will help you in filtering your workbooks first before exporting it.
In my case, I know already how to filter but I CAN'T EXPORT it to .twbx file.
can you help me?
Thierry Jakircevic also raised this issue in Downloading Workbook with User Filters and Opening them in Reader and other places such as Quick download of workbooks for offline use in Tableau Reader.
To my knowledge, there is no (easy) way to dynamically create twbx files.
Ps. It would probably be easy or less difficult, if Tableau had scripting as suggested in Tableau Scripting Engine.
Thanks for the helpful reply from you guys!
I am now getting the right .twbx!
You can use the examples above.
After creating those example codes and save it to a notepad and create a .bat file.
You can use the Windows scheduler to those .bat files so that you can schedule the getting of the workbooks.
Did you get this working? I am also unable to export workbooks programatically
It seemed to me that to export to filtered twbx is not possible (but I haven't tried it on 9). I exported to filtered pdf, this worked ok - if you need help in this case, then I can help you
Thanks for your reply... after looking more carefully at the admin guide I have been able to script the export of TWBX files.
A few points to note though:
- Workbooks will need to be configured to use data extracts.
- The process will require maintenance as and when further workbooks need to be added.
- Has anyone developed an easy way to iterate over certain wookbooks? I don't like the suggestion of basing this on a comment and hacking the postgres database...
- You need to consider if any user or data filters need to be applied to any of the workbook as these aren't supported for twbx exports.
- Workbook will be exported in its entirety. (Data can be filtered in view export only - not twbx).
- Alternatively you can export views, but these can only be surfaced as PDF PNG or CSV(summary data).