3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 5:52 AM by Sourabh Dasgupta

maximum measures?

Jason Wang

Hi,

I am trying to join two tables from IBM Netezza via Tableau.  Each file has about 500 columns and I have "inner" joined the two tables.  However, what I am seeing is not all the columns are imported?  I would expect the columns to be around 1000 (500+500), but I am seeing far less than that.  I thought there is no ceiling to the number of measures/dimension that we can bring in?

Thanks,

Jason

• 1. Re: maximum measures?
          Matt Lutton

An inner join brings in columns that exist in both tables, not all columns from both tables.  I am guessing that the join is the problem here.  Depending on what exactly you're looking for, you will want an outer join of some kind. 

• 2. Re: maximum measures?
            damien gauthier

Hello,

I have the same problem with one file only containing more than 400 columns.
            Only approximately 300 columns are imported in Tableau.
            Does anyone know if there is a maximum number of columns allowed ?

• 3. Re: maximum measures?
              Sourabh Dasgupta

The INNER join basically links the tables based on common columns, and bring all columns from both the table. The matching records will be retrieved and non-matching records will be excluded. So ideally there should not be any restrictions on number of columns from the tables, unless you specifically de-select them while adding the join. I doubt if this has something to do with the driver used for connecting the database.