So I added global filters at context level to try and reduce the burden, but it comes up with this
'Microsoft JET database error 0x80004005: The size of a field is too long.
Unable to create local query context'
This error didnt come up before and I've not added any cells with long text names (or does the 255 field limit refer to something like a code that's generated from calculations or filters??)
Duplicate the data in a non-Jet data source, such as Microsoft SQL Server.
The field exceeds the Jet data engine character limit of 255.'
I can't practically just duplicate to MS SQL server (but will if I had to).
Is there another way around this, such as changing the Excel file contents?
Each time I move to a solution some other error comes up!
I can't work with the data as it hits the 2GB limit, it gives errors when I try to extract and now it gives a new error when I try to filter the data down.
Only thing left for me to try now is the Custom SQL filter to see if that removes some of the other issues...
1 of 1 people found this helpful
There are a lot of possibilities here. Mostly I would recommend you contact support and share with them the logs and Excel file that reproduce the problem.
If you have a multiway Excel join and a lot of rows, then you are almost certainly better off creating an extract. I don't know why the extract is failing without seeing the logs. You can hide any columns you don't need before creating the extract and they won't be loaded. You can also create a filter in the extract dialog (context filters will not help you) and so only create an extract on some of the records.
Thanks Dan, I'll try a few of those things. Somehow I've managed to get an extract working but I get errors on refreshing some of the time still