3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 8:21 AM by Russell Christopher

How Much RAM / CPU I need for 2-5 TB of data?

Sarah Soroush

Hi, I am evaluating Tableau. In particular I am interested to know about the scalability of Tableau Server. What is a general rule of thumb for data size in relation to CPU & Memory requirements. We have about 2 TB of data but it will be growing over time. Does anyone know? I have searched a lot, but can't find a recommendation.

Thank you.

Sarah.

• 1. Re: How Much RAM / CPU I need for 2-5 TB of data?
          Cristian Vasile

Sarah,

I will ping Russel the pre-sales consultant, he could provide knowledgeable answers.

>ping -l 512 -n 12 -w 225  Russel

Regards,

Cristian

• 2. Re: How Much RAM / CPU I need for 2-5 TB of data?
            Sarah Soroush

Thank you for pinging Russell.

I sent him an email as well after your post and asked him if he can post answer here. Or to me directly. My email is persi03@yahoo.com. Really appreciate it.

• 3. Re: How Much RAM / CPU I need for 2-5 TB of data?
              Russell Christopher

Hi Sarah -

Unless you're planning trying to use extracts to host that 2-5 TB of data, the amount of RAM you put on Tableau Server is really neither here nor there. 32-64 GB of RAM should generally be more than enough.

Why? Because it's your database that will be doing all the heavy lifting when it comes to responding to queries that Tableau sends its way. All Tableau will be doing is taking the "answer" to the question (which is exponentially smaller than the full database) and displaying it to you in an interesting way.

If you will be making heavy use of extracts on the server, then more RAM is better because we can use it during the sorting and compressing phases of extract creation & refresh. Unlike other "data discovery" products, Tableau doesn't need enough RAM to load the entire dataset that you want to analyze into. That is one of the major advantages that Tableau has over our competition. But, if you give us more RAM, we can make good use of it 

Hope this helps a little?

1 of 1 people found this helpful