2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 9:21 AM by Michel Caissie

if Measure Names = [ ] and Measure values = ''  then apply Shape

Michel Caissie

Hi all,

Here is what i am trying to accomplish.

I want to display a list of Measure Names  and apply a different shape based on the Measure Values. ( Up and Down arrow based on positive and negative values).

All examples i saw were done where the values comes from a single Dimensions but I can`t find how do it with multiple Measures.

I was hoping to apply an index() to the Measure Names  Dimension but it do not work.

Is there a way i could do this (without reshaping the data) and hopefully without creating a single worksheet for every Calculated Measure and bringing them in a dashboard.

Alternate visual solutions are also welcomed.

thanks

Michel

• 1. Re: if Measure Names = [ ] and Measure values = ''  then apply Shape
          Shawn Wallwork

Michel, thanks for posting a good question and a packaged workbook!

So what you seem to really want to do is use Measure Values/Names in a calculated field. Unfortunately this cannot currently be done. If you want to vote for the Idea (feature request) for this here's the link: http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1187

The workaround is of course reshaping your data, but you don't want to do this. You might be able to do something using a Custom SQL connect, but that's beyond me expertise. Maybe one of the other folks can help with this.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Re: if Measure Names = [ ] and Measure values = ''  then apply Shape
            Michel Caissie

Shawn,

In my case, i  want the user to select 2 Time ranges (Year, Quarter or Month) and compare  Success over Opportunities for the selected periods.

The success is already a calculated field ( registered + took a trial, etc...)  and opportunities is also a calculated field ( Visits - AlreadyRegistered - AlreadyOnTrial, etc...).

So when i wrote that i didn`t want to reshape the data, i had in mind to calculate the values in Sql before bringing them in Tableau, which is not possible because i want the user to be able to select the Time ranges.

But after checking the  SQL thread (http://community.tableau.com/thread/127506), i went with Jonathan Drummey`s ideas  of adding a column in my query, in order to create a dimension with the names of the Measures i want to display. Since i have three Measures, i have to triple the Sql query and  Extract, but for this report i can afford it.

But for sure the Idea is definitely a must  and I added my vote on it.

Michel