I would suggest contacting Tableau Support with this issue.
They will most likely ask for the server logs and the publishing desktop Tableau logs, and give you instructions on how to get them. Getting server logs will require access to the server machine.
Thanks for responding
I restarted the server and it resolved the issue.
Is this still happening for you? I get this all the time. Restarting the server works but that's a pain.
Anyone else have an idea?
Hi Toby. Was this supposed to be a different link? It just take me back to this. Maybe I'm missing something?
we have reduced the size of the datasets and this does not happen very frequently after that.
What Dimitri said, contact Tableau support and let us know the solution.
Thanks Toby. I'm afraid I don't have the patience for the support folks. It's easier to just reboot the system. I'm afraid my experiences with the support team are not positive. When I do get around to it I'll post an update.
Hi Sugam, Sam, Toby,
This is Lindy from Support. We had a few customers report a very similar publishing issue in early versions of 8.0, but none of the customers who reported it have been able to reproduce the issue in later versions of 8.0.
To that end, I recommend these Next steps:
1. Upgrade to Tableau Server 8.0.6
2. If the problem is still reproducible after upgrading, please gather the following information (as it will greatly expedite the support investigation), and forward to email@example.com so we can dig in:
- Name of the workbook/view that is failing to publish
- Date/Time of the last failed publish attempt
- Tableau Desktop logs
- New Tableau Server logs
- (if possible) A Fiddler trace (on the Desktop machine) of the attempted publish operation