5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 1:34 AM by bart.groots

Average

bart.groots

Hello,

I like to have a row with average instead of a row with Grand Total.

See picture & packaged workbook.

Sample.png

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Average
          Robin Kennedy

Hi Bart,

A quick and easy way to do this would be to combine two views onto a single dashboard so they're next to each other.

There are other solutions but they're quite complex to implement -- there are some great ideas, courtesy of Mr Jonathan Drummey, here: Customizing Grand Totals – Part 1 | Drawing with Numbers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Average
            bart.groots

Robin Thanks,

Unfortunately, to hear that this is not easy to accomplish in Tableau but great idea to combine two views!

Regards,

Bart

• 3. Re: Average
              Kris Erickson

So I put Sales per Year in one dashboard.  Next I made a custom calculation for average and placed it in a 2nd sheet.

(I used this calculation: sum([Sales])/COUNTD(YEAR([Order Date]) )

Then I made a dashboard and placed the 2 tabs in it.  It is acceptable and quick:

TableauAverage.PNG

The blue line will dissapear when not hovered over, but I have it there to show you how close you can get the sections using the tiled approach.  This seems like the quickest way to get a Grand Average.

• 4. Re: Average
                Tracy Rodgers

Hi Bart,

Your Calculation1 looks good for getting the desired outcome for Aandeel. ketels warmte [Gj]. Place MONTH(Maand (copy)) on the level of detail shelf. Then, right click on Calculation1 on the measure values card and select Compute Using...>Maand (copy). Finally, right click on Calculation1 in the data box and select Default Properties>Number Format... and select Number (Custom) and change the number of decimal places to 3.

Create calculated fields similar for the other two calculations.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 5. Re: Average
                  bart.groots

Thanks Tracy,

I do understand the formule but i dont understand how i can combine the packaged workbook  with the AVG in one worksheet?

Regards,

Bart