2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 9:13 AM by Allan Walker

Usability problem on dual axis map

Stuardo Herrera

Hi everyone! I made this Dual Axis Map:

Workbook: Map Filter Action with Existing Agg

On one axis I am using a Filled Map to color "States" and on the other one I am using a Symbol Map, using circles as marks, to show "Cities".

The problem is that when a user clicks on a "State" layer, it hides the "Cities" of that State.

state1.PNG.png State2.PNG.png

Is there a way to "lock" a map layer to stay on the back? Or there is a way to tell the map not to highlight what is being selected?

Any help is appreciated.

- Stuardo

• 1. Re: Usability problem on dual axis map
          Jim Wahl

Hi Stuardo,

I'm curious if you figured out how to disable the selection color?

The only thing I could think of is to convert the map to a background image, which will "lock it."

See attched. To get this, I

1) removed the cities from your map

2) exported the map to a JPG, which will later be used as a background image

3) crated a test_lat_long.xls file to determine the lat/long coordinates of the map.

4) added the saved map image as a background image with these coordinates (Map > Background Images > Hoja.xls > Add)

5) crated a new sheet with City level of detail and lat/long(generated) fields, but disabled the background map (Map > Background map > none) to show the background image.

This isn't very convenient, unless it's a single map you're working with.

Allan Walker does a lot of work with maps and may have some ideas.

Jim

• 2. Re: Usability problem on dual axis map
            Allan Walker

Hi Stuardo,

I see another problem here:

Issue with Filled Maps.png

This won't answer your problem Stuardo, but the fill isn't "filling" the data area!

Maybe use Tiger US States as a shapefile background image, and use city as the lowest level of detail, unless you have data at the state level as a roll-up.

Best Regards,

Allan