4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 5:20 PM by Eric Hirst

connection-customization enabled flag gets flipped to false

Eric Hirst

I've been working on getting an ODBC driver working with Tableau, using the .tdc mechanism outlined in Customizing and Tuning ODBC Connections | Tableau Software.  It's mostly seamless now, except for one annoyance.  When the

<connection-customization class='genericodbc' enabled='true' version='8.1'>

node gets automatically copied into each new .twb file, the enabled flag gets flipped to false:

<connection-customization class='genericodbc' enabled='false' version='8.1'>

This causes the the customizations to be bypassed when I re-open the .twb and go back into the Tables wizard.  My workaround is to manually edit the .twb to flip the flag to true.

I'm guessing this is a bug.  If not, is there a better workaround that won't require users to hand-edit the XML?

Thanks, Eric

• 1. Re: connection-customization enabled flag gets flipped to false
          Robert Morton

Hi Eric,

The TDC file supplies customizations globally for any new or existing workbook which does not already have inline customizations enabled. This means that your workbooks should continue to behave as it did when you first created it, provided that the TDC file has not changed. You will of course need that same TDC file on any computer which requires the customizations in order for the workbook to load properly.

Alternatively, you can place an inline customization directly inside a TWB, TBM or TDS file. To make this easier for you when saving a new workbook, Tableau will automatically supply an inline customization with values copied from an applicable TDC. The inline customization takes precedence over global customizations, so Tableau leaves the auto-generated inline customization in a disabled state to allow you to continue working with the global TDC. Once you manually change the inline customization to enabled, it should remain in effect even after modifying and saving your workbook from Tableau.

I hope this helps.

-Robert

• 2. Re: connection-customization enabled flag gets flipped to false
            Eric Hirst

Hi Robert.

What I'm seeing is a little different.  The disabled customizations that Tableau puts in the TWB appear to be overriding the enabled customizations in the TDC, effectively disabling all customizations.

To repro this:

1. Enable ODBC tracing
            2. Create a new TWB against a data source that uses the global customizations in the TDC.
            3. Add remove tables & columns, etc.  Confirm through functional testing and the ODBC log that the customizations are working as expected.
            4. Save and close the TWB.  Inspect the contents in an XML editor as needed, but do not modify it outside of Tableau.
            5. Close Tableau and wait a few seconds if needed for all Tableau processes to close.
            6. Re-open the TWB in Tableau.
            7. Add remove tables & columns, etc.  Confirm through functional testing and the ODBC log that the customizations are no longer working.
            8. WORKAROUND: Abort, hand-edit the TWB to flip the enable flag (or remove the whole customization node???), save the XML, re-open the TWB in Tableau again.

Does this make sense?  I'm just trying to eliminate the user step of having to flip the enable flag on each new TWB.

I haven't tried this for TBM or TDS files.

Thanks, Eric

• 3. Re: connection-customization enabled flag gets flipped to false
              Robert Morton

Hi Eric,

I do not see the behavior you have reported. However I am aware of some customizations which are not properly honored in very specific circumstances, such as reading metadata using a query. Can you confirm if all customizations are ignored, or just specific ones? If you can isolate the scope of this problem, please report it to Tableau through your official channel.

-Robert

• 4. Re: connection-customization enabled flag gets flipped to false
                Eric Hirst

Thanks Robert, that's good enough for me at this point.  It's certainly not a blocking issue for us right now.  I'll bring it up as a support case or partner escalation if needed.

-Eric