5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2017 9:51 AM by Yuriy Fal

Invalid filter while creating a new set - 8.0

Brian McClain

I create a set by highlighting marks in the view, then right-clicked and chose "Create Set".  The resulting set (Set 1) doesn't work - it has a red exclamation point and claims "The field 'Set 1' has an invalid filter".  I have no filters in the worksheet, no colors or details, no pills in any shelf other than a calculated field for columns and a sum of a field for rows.  When I right-click on a dimension and create a set there, it works.  Have not figured out how to select from the view, though.  Any help?

• 1. Re: Invalid filter while creating a new set - 8.0
          Judith Simpson

I have a similar problem.  I want to create a set based on the percentage value of a measure.

I have a calculated field called PercentOfMeasure that calculates the percentage (formula below) and that looks correct.

COUNTD([Resolver Request]) / TOTAL(COUNTD([Resolver Request])) * 100

When I try to create a computed set with a formula of [PercentOfMeasure] < 5 I get an error message "The field PercentOfMeasure is invalid"

Set formula:

[PercentOfMeasure] < 5

I have successfully used other calculated fields in the formula.  What am I doing wrong?

• 2. Re: Invalid filter while creating a new set - 8.0
            Bingcheng Luo

Hello guys.

This is also what I'm looking for. I guess this have to be the problem of table calculation. Since the calculated field is per table page, meaning it cannot be "fixed" values. Thus Tableau have a hard time creating a set based on "constantly changing values".

I don't know a workaround yet. Really need help.

• 3. Re: Invalid filter while creating a new set - 8.0
              Yuriy Fal

Hi Bingcheng,

Sets in Tableau are Dimensions,

and Table Calculations are Measures.

They're differ from each other in a fundamental way,

and therefore they're calculated at the different stage

in the Tableau operations pipeline (see the Help page):

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.html#order_of_operations.html

Yours,

Yuri

• 4. Re: Invalid filter while creating a new set - 8.0
                Bingcheng Luo

Dear Yuri,

Thank you for your post. However this hasn't solve my question yet.

What I'm trying to do: bring table calculations to further calculations in other tabs.

Step 1: Please see below screenshot/attached workbook. I have a table calculation to calculate bottom 20% products according to sales in each sub-categories. This gives a new dimension (however, they're actually "measurements" in Tableau due to table calculation".

Step 2: tag/mark the product with the new dimension "bottom 20%" and be able to use it as a dimension in other tabs for further calculation.

This is not possible due to it's dynamic nature. Challenge:

1. I couldn't use {fixed:} since I need to calculate running totals by descending sales per sub-category.

2. I couldn't use "create a new set" with all "bottom 20%" since my data is too large and will not be able to re-use this set since it is super slow.

3. I couldn't export the bottom 20% list and left join to the original data as this will make it super slow.(besides, I need to publish on tableau server, thus cannot always use this left join)

Still, I couldn't do it. Please let me know if anything could help. Thank you!

Bing

Bottom 20%.PNG

• 5. Re: Invalid filter while creating a new set - 8.0
                  Yuriy Fal

Hi Bingcheng,

You're right, my answer didn't bring a solution.

It doesn't even try.

The problem could be stated (again) as follows:

One need to have say a 80/20 (Pareto) split of all Customers

(based on their Transactions Amount for the given Period) --

as a Dimension, of course.

If it is needed to be calculated just ones (as a static snapshot),

it could be done (and materialised) directly in the dataset --

if the underlying RDBMS supports a window function like this

sum(%1) over (partition by %2 order by %3)

rows between unbounded preceding and current row

But of course, once materialised, it remains the same.

One needs to refresh a datasource to get a 'fresh' snapshot.

I couldn't (yet) figure a way to get it calculated on a view --

with Context Filters setting the scope of the window calculation.

Besides, I'm trying to apply RAWSQL_REAL() expression in Tableau 

as a wrapper to an aggregate window function,

then use FIXED LOD to make it a Dimension.

It needs a Live Connection to a SQL-2003 compliant RBMS.

Yours,

Yuri