5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 7:47 AM by Krishna Aadiseshon

Quick Filter Sort Order

philip ken

How to display Decending or Ascending order value in Quick Filter? Just say I have Date quick filter and default sorting order is ascending.

01/31/2011

02/28/2011

03/30/2011

Now I want these values in DESC sorting order in Quick filter.

03/30/2011

02/28/2011

01/31/2011

how to do this?

• 1. Re: Quick Filter Sort Order
          Neil Sequeira

hphilip

Drag the dates to the filter shelf

On the Filters shelf, click your way to Filter, & select "Use All"

It then allows you a sort option

Hope that helps

Neil

• 2. Re: Quick Filter Sort Order
            Shawn Wallwork

Say what?!

This will only work is you first convert your Date field from a date type to a string type. And then you set the order by changing the default sort order in the Date field in the Dimension window, not the pill on the filter shelf.

Long way to go to get a reverse sort order. Any more importantly you lose the 'date-iness' of the of the dimensions and all the drill-down stuff.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Quick Filter Sort Order
              Harshita Dubey

Hi Philip,

There are many similar post which can help you. Please refer below links.

http://community.tableau.com/thread/126097

http://community.tableau.com/thread/126809?start=0&tstart=0

PS: You can also search your queries before posting it to save your time for waiting response.

Best Regards

Harshita

• 4. Re: Quick Filter Sort Order
                philip ken

Some reason, Tableau is not sorting DESC for date field.

Another thing Tableau is not supporting DESC for any custom date sorting too (MY(DATE).

This type of date format(January 2011, February 20122......), tableau sorting ascending order.

Anyway thank you all.

• 5. Re: Quick Filter Sort Order
                  Krishna Aadiseshon

I had the similar problem and I am using Tableau 9 desktop. This is how i achieved descending order for my date field quick filter. Right click on the date field and transform the field to a new custom date field and then set the default sort property to descending. Now include this new field as a quick filter (this new field is essentially the same field)

Please check my attached screenshots.

I am transforming my "WeekEnding" date field to a custom date field, which is called WeekEnding (Month / Day / Year)  then set the default sort property of WeekEnding (Month / Day / Year)  to Descending. (Right click on the field -->  Default properties --> Sort --> Descending)

1.png

Included WeekEnding (Month / Day / Year)  as quick filter, renamed the title of the quick filter to "Week Ending"

2.png